1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix 14mm and 20mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by skibinski, Sep 10, 2012.

1. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    On Wesdnesday, I'm picking up the Lumix 20mm pancake lens. Pretty excited.

Which bodes the question: should I now sell my Panasonic 14mm? I know it's wider and focuses more quickly, but is it redundant to have two very similar pancake lenses? Is there a scenario in which I would want to keep it or should I try to recover some of the $190 I spent on it via eBay?

2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I see the two as different enough for you to keep them both. The 14mm is right at the cusp of wide angle territory and will serve you well for architecture (exterior and interior) or landscape shots. I personally shoot street with a more normal FOV (e.g. 20 or 25mm) and don't have a basis for recommending the 14mm for street photography. Which bodes the question: what type of photography are you into?

Your 2 lens setup is portable enough to cover the majority of walkaround situations. A few exceptions would be people watching and zoos as these usually require lenses in the telephoto range.

3. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    These days, I find myself mostly shooting photos of my never-still four year old, which is why I think the faster auto focus might matter. The 14mm has felt quite wide in everyday use, but I wonder if I might regret getting rid of it ...

4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I hope you know that the 14mm autofocuses faster than the 20mm because of the latter's moving front element. It's not that dramatic except when in low light (e.g. dimly lit room, indoors at night). I personally wonder if the PL25 (bulky, costs 200usd more but fast autofocus and produces creamier bokeh) or 45/1.8 (may be too narrow) would suit your kid photography needs better.

E-M5, O75, PL25, O12, O75-300, P7-14

5. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    Yeah, I just sold the 45mm. It did feel too tight to me for most practical applications, though the images were excellent. I sure do like the idea of getting some cool Bokeh, but my manual focus '70s Olympus 50mm f1.4 should handle that when I need it, right?

6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Yeah, the OM lenses will do you just fine that way....almost any of the old 50mm f1.4 or right around that focal length (40-60mm) are great.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    They're completely different focals with very different uses.

8. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    The 14 and 20 are two very different lenses, I have both and would chose not to be without either.
    With the 14 fitted (to GF1) I have a very pocketable camera (not so with the 20 fitted.
    20 is great for general shooting, but 14 comes in handy more often than you might think.

9. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    After my last round of shooting at the olympics I'd never get rid of the tiny 14mm unless I had that focal length covered elsewhere...and even then, it's so cheap and small it can just stay in the bag all the time:

https://www.mu-43.com/f56/closing-games-32889/

I'm not saying another wide wouldn't have got this one - but the 20mm couldn't fit it all in, and I constantly find myself using the 14mm instead of the 20mm indoors whenever there're more than 2 people in the shot I want.

10. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    if you don't need the money right away, keep the 14mm for now. as many people have said, 14 & 20 are quite different and you might find yourself in need of something a bit wider.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Better question would be, is there a scenario in which you would not want the tiny 14mm tucked away into a side pocket? It's so unobtrusively tiny, and can broaden your range so much.

• Like Like x 1
  12. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Midwest
    Good point. I'm assuming the two pancakes are sorta similar in size and I'll be taking one but not both out on a photo excursion. But maybe it makes sense to keep 'em both. Maybe I need pants with more pockets. ;)

Looking over photos I took in a restaurant this weekend with the 14mm, I'm wishing I had either had the 20mm available or had brought the flash. The f2.5 just wasn't bright enough ...

13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The 20mm is actually quite a lot bigger and bulkier than the 14mm which is one reason why it is a good idea to keep the 14mm as this like others have said provides a very pocketable combination with a suitable body such as a PEN or GX1 etc

14. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Ahhh, I remember doing this the first time I used the 14 in a bar at night...then I bought the 20mm...then I bought a flash! The jump from 1.7 to 2.5 isn't enormous, if it's too dark for the 14, it's still marginal with the 20.

I'm rubbish with the flash btw - evening indoors is just *hard* and takes practice. I took the clip-on flash to a wedding disco later and they weren't awful, now looking to try bounce flash with a second hand nissin di466 and ttl cable - I think this may crack it! After 500 or so practice shots...