1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix 14mm/2.5 vs Lumix 14-45mm/3.5-5.6

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Reversed, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Reversed

Reversed New to Mu-43

Feb 22, 2012
    I posted this in This or That but I just realized this would probably be a better place.

I just recently got into the micro 4/3 world by purchasing a GF2 with the 14mm pancake lens.

It is the only lens I have at the moment, and for a while, I won't be able to purchase another one. I love the 14mm so far, but I am not sure if I should be using it as my only lens, seeing how it is a wide angle.

Would it be beneficial in this situation to trade it for a 14-45mm for a more versatile lens?

I am still learning, so for questions like "What do you shoot?", I would have to say I am still exploring, I don't really know yet.

Of course, I plan on having both later (or the 20mm), but for now (and the near future), I'm only able to have one.

What do you guys think?

2. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    I have a 14mm and it's probably my favorite native lens, but it would be limiting to have that as your only focal length. But I think you should hang on to it, as its compactness can't be beat and it's faster than the kit lens. Have you considered maybe getting a legacy lens to pair with it? There are lots of fast 50s that can be had for very cheap, including the $20 or so adapter that you would need, and this would give you a nice portrait-length lens.

3. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    The 14mm pancake is an excellent lens considering its size and price; I wouldn't let go of it until your skills have improved to the point where you can identify the limits of the lens.

Keep your 14mm pancake and buy a second-hand Panasonic 14-42mm zoom. They can be had for dirt cheap. On my local craigslist, you can find "brand new" kit 14-42's for less than $150.

4. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I would echo this. Using the 14-42 will give you a good sense of what focal lengths you like too. I actually sold my 14-45 to buy the 14mm! It focuses way closer than the kit lens, and it turns out i like prime lenses more than zooms. So trying both will also help you get a sense of your own favourites. I say keep it for now.