1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lumix 14mm/2.5 vs Lumix 14-45mm/3.5-5.6

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Reversed, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Reversed

Reversed New to Mu-43

Feb 22, 2012
    I posted this in This or That but I just realized this would probably be a better place.

I just recently got into the micro 4/3 world by purchasing a GF2 with the 14mm pancake lens.

It is the only lens I have at the moment, and for a while, I won't be able to purchase another one. I love the 14mm so far, but I am not sure if I should be using it as my only lens, seeing how it is a wide angle.

Would it be beneficial in this situation to trade it for a 14-45mm for a more versatile lens?

I am still learning, so for questions like "What do you shoot?", I would have to say I am still exploring, I don't really know yet.

Of course, I plan on having both later (or the 20mm), but for now (and the near future), I'm only able to have one.

What do you guys think?

2. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    I have a 14mm and it's probably my favorite native lens, but it would be limiting to have that as your only focal length. But I think you should hang on to it, as its compactness can't be beat and it's faster than the kit lens. Have you considered maybe getting a legacy lens to pair with it? There are lots of fast 50s that can be had for very cheap, including the $20 or so adapter that you would need, and this would give you a nice portrait-length lens.

3. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    The 14mm pancake is an excellent lens considering its size and price; I wouldn't let go of it until your skills have improved to the point where you can identify the limits of the lens.

Keep your 14mm pancake and buy a second-hand Panasonic 14-42mm zoom. They can be had for dirt cheap. On my local craigslist, you can find "brand new" kit 14-42's for less than $150.

4. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I would echo this. Using the 14-42 will give you a good sense of what focal lengths you like too. I actually sold my 14-45 to buy the 14mm! It focuses way closer than the kit lens, and it turns out i like prime lenses more than zooms. So trying both will also help you get a sense of your own favourites. I say keep it for now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.