Lumix 14-42 OIS on E-P3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by EP1-GF1, Nov 7, 2011.

1. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I've had a look around and can't seem to find a definitive answer to this one. Apologies if it's been covered and I'm just not good enough at searching :smile:

I have en E-P3 and would like a Panasonic OIS lens for video. The 14-45 would be nice (with its OIS on/off switch) but it's almost 3 times the price of the 14-42. And for the use it will get that's out of the question.

So the question is, in video mode, will the OIS on the 14-42 be automatically active on the E-P3?

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If you turn off IBIS, then OIS becomes active. If you have IBIS turned on, then it disables OIS.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Many thanks. So if for some reason you didn't want any kind of stabilisation you'd be out of luck, right?
  4. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    If you want it completely off, you can set the E-P3 image stabilization off using the control menu, and physically switch the lens OIS to the off position.

For Panasonic lenses (e.g., Vario X 45-175) that lack an on-off switch, it's my understanding that the lens will automatically shut off the OIS when mounted to a Olympus body.
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I think the 14-42 also doesn't have a physical switch like the 14-45. Does the 14-42X have a physical switch?
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Are you sure? My recollection is that OIS is always on, because the Olympus bodies and Panasonic lenses do not communicate that information (OIS status). This means that you need to disable IBIS, otherwise the two systems will counteract each other and actually generate instability.