Lumix 100-400mm purchase options

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
Every time I or someone else mentions the proposed 100-400, everyone seems to think only of the very expensive 150-400 Pro lens, probably because that's the only lens Oly have had pictures of.

I wish Oly would get the 'non pro' 100-400 lens into production as soon as possible and give us a long zoom which is totally compatible with our Oly cameras (and stop losing out to Panny).

brlowe

Mu-43 Regular
Every time I or someone else mentions the proposed 100-400, everyone seems to think only of the very expensive 150-400 Pro lens, probably because that's the only lens Oly have had pictures of.

I wish Oly would get the 'non pro' 100-400 lens into production as soon as possible and give us a long zoom which is totally compatible with our Oly cameras (and stop losing out to Panny).
If I was making money shooting wildlife or something I might think about a Pro lens but it is way to pricey for my hobby of photography. The 100-400 from Panasonice will work just fine for me and I have seen many many great pictures take be members of this forum with the 100-400.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
All the huffing and puffing with regards to marrying it to Olly did me a huge favour. I got mine new for $1100 off a guy who had only had it 4 weeks (I got the receipt) and had only tested it with a couple of shots. He panicked when he felt how tight it was on his olly body and googled it.................put the fear of God up him and he baled. Why he didn't just return it is beyond me?

Yes it's tight, but if you push in as you lock it on as opposed to simply turning, it feels OK. That said, to put my mind at ease, it stays on the same body permanently

Paul C

Mu-43 Regular
The really affordable way to get the Panasonic 100-400 mm

How about this?
With the rush to buy the 100-400mm Panasonic, I hope that many of you are saving up for the $1000+ cost by selling your old 100-300mm Panasonics secondhand.

There is always a jump in advert's and a drop in prices when equipment gets superseeded - me, I'll be watching those auction sites and the MU43 sales offers closely as 2019 rolls on for my super-telephoto bargain !!!

OK - so I get a 25% "discount" on the angle of view (300mm/400mm) but I'll reckon I will get an exponential difference in the price !

best wishes - Paul

brlowe

Mu-43 Regular
The really affordable way to get the Panasonic 100-400 mm

How about this?
With the rush to buy the 100-400mm Panasonic, I hope that many of you are saving up for the $1000+ cost by selling your old 100-300mm Panasonics secondhand.

There is always a jump in advert's and a drop in prices when equipment gets superseeded - me, I'll be watching those auction sites and the MU43 sales offers closely as 2019 rolls on for my super-telephoto bargain !!!

OK - so I get a 25% "discount" on the angle of view (300mm/400mm) but I'll reckon I will get an exponential difference in the price !

best wishes - Paul
I sold my 100-300 a couple years ago. My longest lens is currently my 35-100 f2.8. the 100-400 will complete my normal carry set of, 7-14, 12-35 and 35-100. I also own the 60mm macro and 25 f1.4 lenses. I may sell my 7-14 in the near future.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
I've been thinking about getting the 100-400 as well.

What are all the gotchas (bad physical QC, inconsistency, known weak focal lengths with bad samples) that should be checked out on a used copy that's already in the US?

Do Greentoe ADs in the US go as low as the overseas price?

What is the cost to return ship to Asia for these direct gray market imports if there is a problem?

I want to shoot this with EM1.2, which I don't yet own (b/c I think that's the closest match to DSLR or Sony mirrorless AF performance). Should I buy that body at the same time so that I can confirm the performance level, and no funny business with mount compatibility?

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I want to shoot this with EM1.2, which I don't yet own (b/c I think that's the closest match to DSLR or Sony mirrorless AF performance). Should I buy that body at the same time so that I can confirm the performance level, and no funny business with mount compatibility?
There's a very good chance that you will get a tight fit on your Olly. If that is a worry to you, then I'd wait to see what Olympus will offer. If you google the problem, you will find that quite a few folk have complained of finding "shavings" in their Olly camera when using the Panny lens

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
There's a very good chance that you will get a tight fit on your Olly. If that is a worry to you, then I'd wait to see what Olympus will offer. If you google the problem, you will find that quite a few folk have complained of finding "shavings" in their Olly camera when using the Panny lens
Thanks for the heads up. I definitely expect that. Which Olympus are you referring to, and when might it come out? I want a small system size, and PL lenses are almost always smaller.

Also, I can put the $400 savings on the older PL lens vs a brand new Oly release towards paying olympus to clean out the shavings, and also catch the migratory birds this season :)

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for the heads up. I definitely expect that. Which Olympus are you referring to, and when might it come out? I want a small system size, and PL lenses are almost always smaller.

Also, I can put the $400 savings on the older PL lens vs a brand new Oly release towards paying olympus to clean out the shavings, and also catch the migratory birds this season :)
A 150 - 400 from Olly has been mooted but it's a pro and will be cost heavy

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
A 150 - 400 from Olly has been mooted but it's a pro and will be cost heavy
Oh, that one. If I ever graduate to that size of a lens, I would just get the Sony 200-600 on my A7riii. More flexible, cheaper, higher AF performance, and same aperture size class. Olympus would probably have better glass though.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom