1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lumix 100-400mm purchase options

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by brlowe, May 17, 2019 at 12:19 PM.

1. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
    So I'm looking at getting the Panasonic Lumix 100-400mm lens. On amazon they have 2 options.
    New US model $1597
    Renewed for $1279
    International $1380 with 2 yr warranty

Are the renewed models any good? Only a 90 day warranty
    Will I really be able to get an international model fixed or replaced in the 2 yr warranty if purchased in the States?

Brandon

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Most likely no.

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    You can find a better deal on ebay.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
    For new or used?

5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Southern California
    I just bought one for $1,138 on eBay. These lenses are made in China, so if it’s on your purchase list, you may want to get one before they impose higher tariffs on photography gear.

I didn’t buy any warranty, so I’m taking a risk, but from what others are reporting, Panasonic will not repair, but will only replace with a refurbished unit for $1k+, at which price I could just buy a new one.

6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    There are a few used ones for $1100. You can buy a third party warranty with the savings and save the difference, if that's your worry. I noticed on the 8-18 this week they were extending warranties to 3 years (on new). Maybe they are also for the other lenses?

7. Keeth101

Keeth101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2018
    I hope you're not thinking of pairing it with an Olympus camera. Too many reported problems ..... none of them to do with Panasonic's terrible lack of service.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PFrank

PFrank New to Mu-43

Jul 2, 2018
    On the other hand, I have been using mine on an EM1.1 and EM1.2 since it first came out with no problems. Yes, some people have problems but lots don't.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Enoch

Enoch Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Enoch Haven
    I bought an international one on Ebay recently for my Em-1, along with a third party warranty, and I have had no problems whatsoever after thousands of shots. The mount is snug, but smooth. No grinding or shavings at all. I am glad I bought it the way I did. It was about 1150 including warranty and shipping.

10. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    If your not in a hurry, Olympus look like bringing out something similar if you look at their lens road map.
    I don't know why they have not dropped any hints as it appears they may be loosing a few sales to the G9 & 100-400 combo which is semi affordable.

11. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Because the Olympus is going to be 3 x 4 times more expensive, it is a constant f4 (Bigger also).

12. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Roberts Camera has a used site, UsedPhotoPro which has the 100-400 for $1279
    Panasonic DG 100-400mm f4-6.3 Vario-Elmar ASPH Power OIS Leica MFT Lens

This lens comes with Robert's own 6 month warranty and a hassle-free 14 day return policy. I have purchased from Roberts many times before. I only had an issue once - I called and told them the problem and they immediately sent me a return shipping label and soon as they got the item, they issued a refund.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
    I will be pairing it up with a G9 and I will be ordering very soon.

14. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    The best way to "insure" one of these is to get an all perils policy from your house/renters insurance, about $35 per year.

15. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
    I have one of those and it will go on there just like the rest of my gear.

16. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
  17. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Southern California
    Someone mentioned that DWI is an authorized Hong Kong based Panasonic dealer. I passed on them because they had too many negative feedback of a nature that made me uncomfortable. I bought from e-infinity who has a 100% rating, and I see they have now dropped their price to $1,120. They shipped mine via FedEx, and it arrived in 2 days.

NEW Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 ASPH. O.I.S. Lens 885170265295 | eBay

18. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2012
  19. Tool Crazy

Tool Crazy Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Well like any other seller on ebay you take their feedback score into account. Currently they have 12123 feedback with 98.8 positive. That looks pretty good to me.
    That's how I would view them if I've never done business with them but since I have with several purchases from them in the past, I have nothing but great things to say about them. They ship extremely fast usually have your item fedex'ed to you in about 2 business days and their items are brand spanking new with full tracking info and signature confirmation. I've bought my oly 12-40mm and 40-150 pro and 1.4 TC from them, all in separate transactions and would recommend them to anyone who want's to save on camera gear.
    Of course, all of it is gray market so if that's an issue for you, stay away but I've never had a problem with camera gear and I don't abuse my gear either so I'll continue saving whenever wherever possible.

20. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    I think the lens @retiredfromlife@retiredfromlife is suggesting is the one I’ve circled in green whereas you’re probably talking about the one circled red?
    upload_2019-5-18_6-7-37.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.