Luminous Landscapes on T-Stops

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Luminous Landscapes have generated an open letter here:

An Open Letter To The Major Camera Manufacturers

Basically, the author is discussing the issues with sensors and sensor design in relation to fast lenses. What is really being discussed here is pixel/microlens issues. Basically, the faster the lens, the greater the angles of light rays hitting them. Depending on the sensor/pixel design, some cannot handle the extreme angles and the pixel doesn't register all the available light.

The author's beef is that camera manufactures know this and "secretly" boost ISO a little to compensate. This is a different issue than I really wish to talk about. We might have opinions one way or another on this.

I think a more elegant explaination is made by Andy Westlake from dpreview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=36768003

He made some calculations using a Noctilux on a GF-1. As you can see from his results, the full aperature isn't fully used.

I think this is something the legacy lens users might want to know.

Rider

Mu-43 Regular
I can see this affecting the amount of light, but does it also affect the DOF?? Will have to look into some more.

Rider

Mu-43 Regular
Yes, it will. The larger the aperature, the larger the blur spot. If the pixels can't pick up the rays, the blur spot won't be as big.
But a neutral density filter doesn't decrease the blur, which is why it's puzzling. Will have to read up on it.

feppe

Mu-43 Regular
It's a purely academic discussion, as we're talking about well less than a stop difference, which is adjusted by the camera in the background with no intervention from the user necessary. No one will be able to tell the difference in the final product (screen or print) in 99.9% of real-life shooting cases, except perhaps very high ISO shots.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom