Luminous Landscape reviews the E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Jun 10, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    • Like Like x 2
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Considering that Panasonic has dropped 4/3'ds all together, there might be some validity to his initial misgivings about Four Thirds...
  3. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    After reading that review I think Michael has a new travel buddy ;-)
  4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Wouldn't disagree, but plenty of the people tarred him (unfairly IMO) as an Olympus hater for those comments.

I wouldn't be surprised. The ultimate proof is whether he keeps his NEX-7 or not.

His comments on the 12-35/2.8 were particularly encouraging.

5. Antonio

Antonio Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    I hadn't realized that Panasonic has dropped 4/3'ds. Do you mean that Panasonic is discontinuing the productions of all its 4/3ds cameras and lenses? Is Olympus alone in this game?
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    When's the last time you saw a Panasonic Four Thirds lens or body...
  7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Antonio, 4/3 not = micro 4/3rds. Panasonic has not dropped m43 at all.

Michael gave up his misgivings about 4/3 (at least micro 4/3) a long time ago. He loved the GH2 when he reviewed it, basically saying it had one of the best user control setups of any camera, m43 or DSLR. He was also very satisfied with the IQ of the GH2.
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    That's the most important thing I got from the review, heh

Remember, that's 4/3's. Totally different from m43. Panasonic only made 1 body IRC... and not even sure about lenses. There was a 4/3 PL25 I think.
  9. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Two bodies (actually, three - two Panasonics and one Leica) and several lenses. 14-50 Vario-Elmar in two versions, 14-150 Vario-Elmar, PL25/1.4.
  10. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    "...These options are also available for the EVF, but strangely a mode with flashing highlights and shadows is not available via the EVF, a curious omission."

This is incorrect. Otherwise good review!
  11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Those lenses are still available (At least a couple) for sale on panasonic's site, and have never officially been discontinued, however unlike olympus they dropped the full 4/3 standard camera bodies as soon as they started with the first m4/3 G1. Olympus on the other hand can't just drop the full 4/3 standard due to remaining users that have very expensive glass (as noted in the review). They will likely continue full 4/3 with at least basic updates to the e-3 pro series body, though perhaps only 1 more update in the future is likely...until they figure out a way to get fast AF with their older 4/3 lenses via adapter.
  12. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Not officially, no, but the 4/3 version of the PL 25/1.4 is not sold many places and the PL 14-150/3.5-5.6 is disappearing too. Most indications are that they're selling from existing stock and when they're out, that's it.

I actually think a good solution for PDAF on m4/3 might cause them to be discontinued sooner rather than later, as more people would consider buying them for m4/3 use causing supplies to disappear more quickly.

Michael's comments on Olympus's 4/3 lenses are interesting:

"But as I said, these are among the best lenses – ever. The issue as I see it is that during the Four Thirds peak, when these cameras were being (mostly unsuccessfully) pitched at Pros, neither Olympus nor Panasonic had cameras that could really do them justice. Now they do with the E-M5 and its 16 Megapixel sensor and weak AA filter. It is clearly the first MFT body from Olympus that can truly take advantage of what these lenses can do."