Luminar questions

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Maybe one of you Luminar users can enlighten me. I had downloaded the free version of 3 when it became available and pretty much ignored it. Last night I noticed the icon and decided to goof around with a photo or two. After figuring out the basic "Where in the hell are all of the modules" question, I was stunned to see how quickly you could edit a photo with a single style click. Now, to me it was a little over the top, but you can clearly back it off either one at a time or the entire set of filters.

I have been using Darktable for several years and really like it. I am used to the process and can get through the basics pretty quickly, yet sometimes I struggle to find the right module for a specific fix or look.

I like the sky fix in Luminar to pull back and show some detail in an overcast or bright sky. It seems to be fairly effective without masking or setting up a gradient filter.

But, this brings me to a few questions.
1. Where is the history stack? I am used to seeing every step, which modules are activated, which ones I tried and shut off or reset, etc. I looked around and couldn't find a way to show it. I'm sure it's there?
2. Where is the standard, basic way to edit? Say I don't want to use a landscape or portrait preset, I want to make lens corrections, sharpening, etc. myself. Is it under the 'professional' setting?
3. Is there a way to build a custom set of modules and save them?
4. If I did use a preset and still wanted to change something manually, it seems once I clicked out of the preset it reverted to the original image. Is there a way to do both?
5. I am assuming this is all non-destructive and the original RAW is saved?
6. Is there a way to deactivate a module without resetting it? In other words, say I changed the contrast and wanted to compare the difference in just that one module, not the entire before/after of the photo. Can the module be activated/deactivated with no changes?

I probably have more and I could suss this out over time, but I'm hoping one of you regular users are willing to flatten my learning curve. I can see how processing time after coming home from vacation or outing at a air show or race track with hundreds or even thousands of shots would be shortened significantly with a nice preset for a specific type of photo. It makes me think that I may purchase #4, which would be the first time I've bought any kind of photo editing software since the early days of Photoshop.

Not sure how much I'd use the 'neato' features like sky replacement, sun rays, or whatever else they have, but having them to play with looks like fun. Last night I edited a photo (posted in before and after) and showed my wife and son. They both liked it, but they also commented/asked about faking a photo. I feel the same way, but again, it was kind of fun!

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom