Luminar Beta for Windows

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jdcope, Jul 13, 2017.

1. jdcope

jdcope Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 21, 2015
    Oregon
  2. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    I don't use Lightroom but have been trying out Luminar for Windoze. I find it interesting so far but will need more time with it. Interesting that it is the first program to grab a big chunk of the 32GB of RAM I have which has been underused up to now.

Keith

3. jdcope

May 21, 2015
    Oregon
    Lightroom is the only one I have tried since I bought my camera. If I could fine something that works without the high cost, that would great. The Nik Collection is nice, I use that a lot. But its not updated any longer. And there are some plugins for Lightroom that I use, but I think I can live without those.

4. adamsmt2013

adamsmt2013 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2013
    I love Luminar on Mac. I have created a few workspace that contain thrillers I typically want for certain images. The before and after from Lightroom to post Luminar is dramatic for me. I still
    LOL use lr for my organization and lunch Luminar as a plug-in.

5. jdcope

May 21, 2015
    Oregon
    Does the Mac version support Olympus RAW files? Because the Windows one does not. Or I haven't figured out how yet.

UPDATE- it does. It wasnt giving me thumbnails and I assumed it wasnt going to work.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  6. ouldsmobile

ouldsmobile Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Toronto, Ontario
    Kevin
    I briefly loaded the beta last evening just to see how it worked and if it was something I wanted to go forward with. Seemed pretty stable and everything I tried seemed to work well already. So, thats a plus. One thing I wish though is that they had a built in file explorer/film strip for choosing the photo to work on. Using the windows explorer is fine but having something built in would be more seamless. This could also allow for copying and pasting your edits in to a series of photos that were taken at the same time/place/setting. Maybe there is a way to do this in Luminar but it didn't seem to be an obvious way to do it quickly.

7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If the PC version functions like my Mac version.....there is no dumping Lr for it.....unless you have a seperate DAM or library handler. Today Luminar does not have a DAM. Macphun promised to have one by the end of 2017. If they can pull that off......goodbye Adobe.

8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Does Luminar include the Tonality BW package?

I really like some of the options in Tonality, but my old iMac can barely handle Yosemite, Photos and Tonality. Having it available on Windows may make my future PC upgrade decision easier.

9. jdcope

May 21, 2015
    Oregon
    I see some monochrome/B&W presets, but nothing about Tonality. And the Tonality page only shows a Mac version.

10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The Luminar DAM is promised by Macphun by end of 2017.

Luminar does contain many filters including B&W conversion. But the Luminar filters do not have the same depth and capability as the Creative Kit apps:
    Macphun Creative Kit – Advanced Photo Editing Tools at a Best Price | Macphun

For the Mac users, Luminar can be host for Aurora and CK apps and send image to and from them. That may also be possible for Windows when Macphun releases Aurora for Windows. I have not seen any mention of Creative Kit for Windows.

You might want to read about the Luminar plans: The future of Luminar via @wearemacphun | Macphun Blog

11. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    I have just finished watching the Luminar beta for windows demo video.
    In develop, whenever a slider is moved there seems to be one to two second delay before you see any change to your photo. Seems not to matter which slider is in use, they all have a delay. So I would assume it is impossible to "jiggle "the sliders to find the sweet spot, with such a slow reaction. I for one could not work with this delay. Anyone with the Mac version like to comment? is it also so slow? After all, this is a windows promo video, move the slider, wait..... wait.... wait.. ah, thats what it does, don't like it move it the other way, wait....wait.......wait , thats better, Somehow I don't think its ready for release yet.