Luminar 4 - pretty impressive

BPCS

Mu-43 Regular
The ability to retouch and shape a portrait in a few clicks is worth the price of admission. It can do what only an experienced Photoshop operator can usely do.

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It appears that they are, in fact, applying modifications to the overall luminosity and tone of the colours in the original shot.
When you do a sky replacement in L4 it creates a mask for the new sky and if you click the show mask icon you can see that it covers the whole photo. In those rare occasions when I do a sky replacement I generally turn on the show mask and erase it from the foreground so as to remove the changes to the rest of the photo.

Medley

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry but I really don't like the idea of replacing sky's and all the rest, it's just false to me.

In this case, I think it's turned a nice, natural photo into something garish. Very sorry but that's just my take on it.

It's definitely something which I will not be buying, I prefer to see a picture as it was taken. I have no problems with sharpening, getting the colour balance right, de-noising and all the other things we do to enhance our photos but completely changing the sky etc is just making a lie of your photography IMO.

Sorry if I sound harsh, I don't mean to. Your original picture is really nice.
Thanks for your comments, Keeth101, and no offence taken at all. However, I have a couple points I’d like to make:

The second image certainly does border on “garish” for sure. It’s not really my style of photo either, but you have to admit it is dramatic. When I show it to people, they say “oh, wow!”. Nobody ever says that when I show them the original. They say something like, “oh, where is that?”. It depends on what your intentions are for your photos.

To be frank, I find the original quite boring, without any drama. It’s accurate, yes, but truth is that the sky was quite dull that day, and virtually none of the photos I took while out on the Saint Lawrence taking pictures of Old Montreal were particularly interesting to me until I edited some of them. (Truth be told, even in the original that I started this thread with, I had to do a lot of editing to pull any clouds into view; that sky is not the original capture either). They were snapshots of a nice boat ride. Snapshots are fine for reminiscing or sharing with family (although often they would prefer not to sit through a viewing of photos that are important to me but not them).

My intention in this post was to highlight how magical the ability to edit has become with the power of today’s software. For those who used to spend hours or days doing this kind of thing, being able to do it with a few clicks is revolutionary. The old question about how much editing is too much will always remain with us and will never be answered because there never will be a right answer. As the French say, à chacun son goût.

Last edited:

Cynthia

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Cynthia
I've never been much into post-processing, having used LR over the years for basic stuff like pulling up shadows, a bit of sharpening here and there, stuff like that. So I was stunned when I decided to try out Luminar 4. It is remarkably trivial these days to make dramatic changes to photos that are otherwise fairly bland. It took me about 10 minutes with Luminar to turn this.....

View attachment 804924

...into this....

View attachment 804925

Not everyone's cup-o-tea, I acknowledge, but this is pretty impressive, one has to admit.
I agree! I took the plunge a month ago, and love it! What you accomplished was an image that was good, but slightly bland to grand! Well done!!

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I tried out Luminar 4 recently with their trial offer. I was using it on my Mac and in general liked it. The program performed reasonably fast and the output was very nice. My problem was with the program crashing. It would crash constantly and each time I had to go into my Pictures folder, find Lunimar 4 folder and rename it in order to get the program to work. Luminar would work for a while then crash again. I finally gave up on it. If and when they figure out those crashes I will take another look at it.
GQR

OldRadioGuy

Enthusiast Amateur
Real Name
Bob
Sorry but I really don't like the idea of replacing sky's and all the rest, it's just false to me.

.... I prefer to see a picture as it was taken. I have no problems with sharpening, getting the colour balance right, de-noising and all the other things we do to enhance our photos but completely changing the sky etc is just making a lie of your photography IMO.
Ahh, the old argument over what is reality and what is art. Thanks for this reminder. The lens we choose, the composition, the perspective, etc. -- all impact the image perceived by the viewer. What we see with our mind's eye is not necessarily what's real. But processing the image to make it the artist's vision is certainly valid. The images produced by Ansel Adams may not have been reality, but I have his prints hanging in my house. That's what great about photography. There's room for all of us!

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Here's my own example of sky replacement with Luminar. I felt kind of dirty posting it on my Instagram feed. ;-) I'm impressed, technically, but conflicted artistically.

Also, notice how it put the sky reflection in some of the appropriate parts of the window panes.

20200524_164629_P1024799_street.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20200524_164629_P1024799_street_Luminar4-edit.jpg

Last edited:

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I downloaded the free v.3 offer for my new computer, which is nearly up and running now. I like their 1-minute videos that speed up an editing session, hopefully I'll be using it enough to get some proficiency soon. My artistic sense isn't very AI compatible, but I'll give it an honest look when I can.

Medley

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I downloaded the free v.3 offer for my new computer, which is nearly up and running now. I like their 1-minute videos that speed up an editing session, hopefully I'll be using it enough to get some proficiency soon. My artistic sense isn't very AI compatible, but I'll give it an honest look when I can.
Good luck, and enjoy the ride to wherever your mind’s eye takes you.

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Okay. To users who have gone from L3 to L4.x. Skylum has a pretty attractive upgrade offer right now. Have you found the features/flow/functionality of Luminar 4 to be worth it compared to version 3?

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought L4 when it was on sale for $59 not too long ago. The sky replacement kind of peaked my interest. I've taken way too many photos on vacations where the sky has been a boring grey. Thought maybe I'd bring some life to them (or at least the ones I use as my computer wallpaper). Even though I'm used to dong everything in LR/PS, I'm pretty impressed by how well the app works. The photo below was a 3 shot panoramic I took back in 2016. The L4 edit below was just sky replacement and AI enhance.

Real Name
Roddy
I tried out Luminar 4 recently with their trial offer. I was using it on my Mac and in general liked it. The program performed reasonably fast and the output was very nice. My problem was with the program crashing. It would crash constantly and each time I had to go into my Pictures folder, find Lunimar 4 folder and rename it in order to get the program to work. Luminar would work for a while then crash again. I finally gave up on it. If and when they figure out those crashes I will take another look at it.
GQR
This is exactly where I am at, too. I had to upgrade (by default) to Catalina recently and lost my ability to use my iPhoto libraries and I'm looking around for alternatives. Luminar 4 seemed a good fit for a couple of days on trial, but now it just crashes all the time, no matter what fix I use as suggested by the Skylum user forums. I can restart the Macbook and it will work for one photo (and the results are nice if you're just using it for a basic editor - I have not played with any of the AI functions) before it crashes again and requires another restart.

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
I did not have any issue with the stability of L3 (MB Pro, Mojave). I upgraded to L4 over the 4th when the deal was too good to pass up. I still find it non-intuitive. I also really don't like it creating what amount to persistent "scratch files" that I can't find and delete. Haven't fiddled with the sky or portrait tools. I'm hoping that it will provide a vehicle for removing CA/fringing.

Real Name
Chris
I don’t think I saw it mentioned earlier, but beware if you shoot HHHR. My older paid version of L3 had no issues with the files. I upgraded for free to a newer version of 3 and lost the ability to handle HHHR orfs. Unable to roll back to my older version, I downloaded a free trial of L4 to see if it had since been resolved. It has not, and now I use DxO. So although I did enjoy the power to ease ratio/bang for the buck I felt Luminar provided, it ultimately proved to be a waste of my money.

AlanT

Mu-43 Regular
I'm a recent purchaser of Luminar 4 after using the trial and being impressed with how quickly you can process raw files. I use it on Windows 10 and performance is ok until I click into a folder with several hundred files, at which point it tends to grind to a halt and can take several seconds to render previews. I'm hoping those sorts of issues will be resolved in time because it's a powerful tool for very reasonable money.

Rob J

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Rob
I am a huge fan of Luminar 4 and am still in the process of making it work for me. As far as the notion that replacing a sky being fake or cheating, and should not be done, I personally have no problem with it but I do believe that doing so needs to be fully disclosed and not passed off as being how the scene was in reality. Call it "photo art" if you feel the need to but I feel that, when well done and not over the top, enhancing a sky is perfectly acceptable. It has to be believable though, and is also should be disclosed as being an artistic edit.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
does it work now? L3 was a complete waste if money, very unstable
I snagged L3 when they were giving it away for free a couple of months ago. I never found it unstable on my desktop PC, but good God! it was SLOW! I'm a regular ACDSee Ultimate 2020 user, and I'm used to a complete DAM tool and fairly snappy response time. I can't see myself using it anytime in the near future. Anything I could do in Luminar, I'm fairly certain I can do in ACDSee Ultimate and I wouldn't be waiting around for something to happen.

Attempted Humorous AfterThought: LOL! If I want to watch my PC churning, I'll use a Topaz product! (I do use Topaz products, and they are 'usually' worth the wait. but sometimes not! Waiting is not virtuous in and of itself.)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Reviving this thread. Are the performance/crashing issues still a problem? I tried 3 for the first time last evening and didn't see any issues, although I didn't get into a huge stack of filters and fixes. Am considering 4, thoughts?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom