"Luminance HDR" and "Hugin": essential HDR & Panorama software for Linux/Win/Mac

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by urcindalo, Aug 13, 2012.

1. urcindalo

urcindalo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Almería, Spain

I'm just a newbie at "pro" photography but an experienced Linux user :smile: . In this thread I was asking for a way to create HDR images with my brand new E-PM1.

Well, I've found a software gem to generate quality HDR images from a series of bracketing images in an easy way, with just a few clicks: Luminance HDR. I just wanted to share the info with you, just in case there are other Linux users out there in this forum :cool: . The bad news is there are also Windows and Mac versions :rolleyes: :tongue:

My experience is very limited, just a few tries this morning, but to me the default "fattal" and "Reinhard '05" algorithms are particularly pleasant to the eye, specially the former. The software even uses the Hugin libraries (an excellent panorama photo stitcher) to align the images previously, so a tripod is not mandatory. By the way, Hugin can also be used for this HDR purpose (I didn't test it), although it really excels as a panorama creator (I've used it a lot) and, bad news again, it also has Windows and Mac versions :2thumbs:

Hope this info is useful.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. a_foolishman

a_foolishman Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Kelly Graham
    +1 the hugin
    I've used Hugin but never seen Luminance HDR.

I'll try to check out Luminance HDR tonight.
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Been looking for a free HDR tool, will give this one a try.