1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumia 1020 vs GX1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by madogvelkor, Sep 7, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I just got a new Lumia 1020, and I've been playing with the camera on the phone. Very nice so far, the app that Nokia made for it in particular is nice. You can manually set a bunch of stuff, though not aperture (it's fixed at f/2.2). It has a 2/3 sensor, so the fov is that of f/8.8 on FF or f/4.4 on micro 4/3. Probably the neatest feature is the manual focus -- it's fun to be able to do that on a phone. Though you can also just tap anywhere on the screen to select a focus point too.

I put together a set on Flickr with some comparison shots vs. the GX1 with the 14mm f/2.5 pancake. I figured in terms of size, fov, and likely usage that was a good lens and camera combo for the comparison.

I had both set to auto, and just used the straight from the camera JPEGs from the GX1.
    Camera Phone Comparison - a set on Flickr

It's interesting -- I think the Lumia does better in direct sunlight, the color seems more accurate and there is more detail. In shade the GX1 seems more accurate.

I also like the low resolution photos from the Lumia much better than the full resolution. So the oversampling does seem to work. Even if you shrink the full resolution to the same size, you get a lot more detail and better dynamic range in the oversampled version. I don't think the full resolution images are even usable -- though Nokia lets you edit them to "zoom".

• Like Like x 1
  2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Both really good. Working under my philosophy of "the camera you have with you is the best camera you have" I'd say that I wouldn't be disappointed if I only had the lumia with me.

Of course there is more to the story than just image quality but that's sure a big start.

A couple of years ago I compared a cheap compact Panasonic with my Nokia and was surprised that at wide settings (where both captured about the same angle of view) the little phone can did better!

Just for the hell of it, here is that comparison...
    http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2012/04/nokia-e72-cam-vs-digicam.html

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    On screen, maybe the IQ holds up - curious what happens when you print those images at 8x10 or larger ...

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Cool! The Nokia is definitely on my shortlist for my next phone (though it sounds like the HTC One and the iphone 5S are decent competition , only the 1020 seems basically built around the camera!).

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Neither the HTC one nor iPhone cameras can touch the 1020's. I've played with it in the store quite a bit, it renders details in a way that no other cellphone camera ever has.

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Agreed, the iPhone 4s cant even match my old Nokia E72 (a 2009 phone!), the HTC one however is a pretty good shooter.

7. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

It looks to me as if the first pair of samples, the river with the trees, shows that the Lumia lens is much sharper than the P14. I'm looking at the full size images on Flickr, and zooming in on the leaves in the top left quarter of the image. Very blurred on the GX1 sample.

Maybe there's something else going on? Or maybe it's just that the P14 isn't "the sharpest tool in the box"?

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I just bought the 1020 as well. Still haven't had a chance to wring it out but early impressions are very good. It even has optical stabilization! Saturation seemed a little overblown to me though.

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    On that river photo, the sky looks much worse on the GX1, almost blown out. Nokia handles it much better .:eek:

10. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Posts like this make me want to jump ship to WP. That 1020 is awesome!

11. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    That is impressive. But I am really comfortable with the iOS interface and stability. I've had my iPhone while my wife has gone through about four Androids. No doubt the 1020 camera is better. I'm just not sure that's enough to make me change. And Verizon doesn't have it either do they?

12. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I'm curious as to how the new sensor will perform in the 5s. The iPhone 5 has surprised me a number of times when it seemed impossible to get a good picture with a phone. The way it handles dynamic range is really impressive, even though the files are only usable up to a small size. If you look at your smartphone pictures as photographs that only live on digital devices, then it's really unmatched in terms of portability and features. Same goes for the 1020. Remember, these are smartphones, small computers, that do much, much more than take pictures. The fact that you can get really good images as well is pretty amazing.

I don't think the Lumia 1020 is on Verizon though.

13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Windows phone is, in my opinion, more comparable to iOS than Android. You have different hardware manufacturers, to be sure, which is like Android, but Nokia really seems to be taking over in terms of handsets worth noticing. And if course, Microsoft just bought their entire smartphone division, so the Lumia may just become WP's de facto "iPhone."

Where the comparison to iOS is most apt, though, is that Microsoft doesn't allow handset manufacturers, or carriers, to pollute the phone with all of the junk that is routinely applied to Android phones, like interface overlays, stupid non-erasable carrier apps, and the like. Anything from the carrier that is preinstalled on a windows phone can be deleted instantly. So the whole os experience is coherent and reliable like iOS.

I've used WP for years now, and while the app ecosystem is slow to grow, I use my tablet anyway for messing around with the latest and greatest apps, my phone should be reliable and do what I want it to do, and windows phone hasn't let me down. Plus, Nokia smartphones are damned sexy!

14. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Indeed, the 14mm is quite soft in the corners wide open, and it faces plenty of sample variation from lens to lens.

Though I'm wondering how much a high quality lens will pull ahead, and if this kind of phone will obsolete lower-end M43 offerings. Damn!

15. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I'm so out of date I didnt know what WP stood for. I just assumed the Nokia was an Android phone. If it's not an iPhone, I don't know much about it.

16. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Windows Phone is the underdog that Android was years ago, that really combined the best of both worlds (Android's hardware choice and iOS's polish and lack of fragmentation). It's very different to both - Android started life in many ways a clone of iOS, and real innovation happened over many iterations, but WP ditched almost every convention to go with an interface and user experience that, of it owes anything to anything that's gone before, is visually the child of the Zune HD, which was beautiful, brilliant (and one of the first consumer devices to use OLED), but doomed because people wouldn't take a music player seriously that didn't have the iPod name.

17. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    My old Zune was the best music player (interface-wise) that I've ever used. I never thought the clunky, obnoxious iPod interface compared, whether we're talking about the classic wheel equipped iPods or the Touch style models. Oddly enough, I feel like the WinPhone hasn't quite lived up to the Zune either. A few tweaks here and there would make it much nicer to work with. I don't find it terribly different from the iPod/Phone as-is.

The worst part of WP8, though, is actually the phone app. Go figure.