LumaFusion for iPad

I just came across this app for the iPad... found it while filming through some of my tagged sites...

This one caught my eye as it was called: How to Edit Video on an iPad Pro and it can be found both on The Art of Photography site, imo a decent site run by Ted Forbes. He has done more than 700 Vlogs and a little while ago switched over to doing his entire video editing using only his iPad Pro... and this app i hadn't heard of before called LumaFusion, by LumaTouch

After viewing Ted's video (1st link above) I'm just going through some of the YouTube Tutorials by LumaTouch... looks promising.

I've put together videos of varying lengths in apps like iMovie, StrangeBrew (old Java based app from yesteryear, later called CineKit), Diva then Avid Video (btw... LumaFusion has a number of the original Avid crew working on LF), and FinalCut Pro... oh yeah... also ScreenFlow... the later that I was going to be using fro a series of coaching videos I've had mulling around in the back of my head for years.

But... this LumaFusion looks like it's got some real potential.

Has anyone here had any experience with it? Except for the free iMovie it comes in less expensive than any of the other apps I mentioned above, and in some cases has more power and is easier to use. Ted explains (talking faster than a speeding bullet) his workflow in his video so if you're interested I'd view that one first (for the workflow, not the delivery).

I'd be interested to hear form anyone who has tried the most recent version (1.7) as it seems to have nipped a few of the possible bugs while at the same time bringing in some new enhancements.

Sells for $19.99 on the app store.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
My knowledge of video editing is limited at best, but I found it much easier to use as a newbie than anything else I’ve tried. I find it much easier and faster than fcp, iMovie, or resolve.

My knowledge of video editing is limited at best, but I found it much easier to use as a newbie than anything else I’ve tried. I find it much easier and faster than fcp, iMovie, or resolve.
Sounds positive @Repp . If I Might ask, what version of iPad are you using it with? And which external drive are you using. I’m interested in finding out more about the LaCie drive that Ted talked about. I have the WD drive but he seemed pretty hepped up on the Lacie for various reasons.

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’m using a slightly older 10.5” iPad Pro, maybe 3 years old? I’ve been leaning towards the lacie copilot, as it offers faster speed with its wire connection and still lets you have access to wifi internet, which I’m not sure all the wifi connected drives would allow. But I think it’s not as app integrated as WD and gnarbox.

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have been using LumaFusion for sometime now, and find it’s functionality and usefulness to be quite amazing. I am using it on my iPad Air. I’m sure it would handle many tracks more easily on a higher spec’d iPad Pro - but this is what I have. I really wasn’t expecting that I could scrub tracks and be so precise on the time frame —- using my fingers. But it is effortless. Will even handle 4K video

This is the guy (HENNY THA BIZNESS) on YouTube that convinced me to check it out last summer.

I don’t make any claims about my video abilities - but this was the first video I put together with LumaFusion using a bunch of handheld short clips that I took around the park in Xela, Guatemala last year:

———

Last edited:
I have been using LumaFusion for sometime now, and find it’s functionality and usefulness to be quite amazing. I am using it on my iPad Air. I’m sure it would handle many tracks more easily on a higher spec’d iPad Pro - but this is what I have. I really wasn’t expecting that I could scrub tracks and be so precise on the time frame —- using my fingers. But it is effortless. Will even handle 4K video

This is the guy (HENNY THA BIZNESS) on YouTube that convinced me to check it out last summer.

I don’t make any claims about my video abilities - but this was the first video I put together with LumaFusion using a bunch of handheld short clips that I took around the park in Xela, Guatemala last year:

———
@Robert Watcher sweet little video... not only do you show a taste of Guatemala, but it seems to be a good testament to the app, LumaFusion. If that’s your first attempt I can’t wait to see what’s next!
Now I’m really curious as to the equipment you used for your process... ie
- camera:
- lens: looks like a zoom, which one?
- video setting (in camera)
- manual focus or auto?
- how did you transfer the files to your iPad?
- did you change any settings in LF before importing your clips. Ie... which settings did you use ... 24, 25 or 30 fps?
- whatever else you might have done to get such a wonderful first go with your video.

Well done!

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thank you. It was my first. Hopefully I get to use the app again before long. I just don’t shoot that much video.

I was moving away from Guatemala last September, and so took a day before leaving and just wandered around the central park late one afternoon to gather a whole bunch of short clips in hopes that I could have a selection to put this together. That would be good for a memory for my wife and I,

Now I’m really curious as to the equipment you used for your process... ie
- camera:

Olympus E-M1 (first version)

- lens: looks like a zoom, which one?

Olympus 14-42mm kit lens

- video setting (in camera)

1080p 24 FPS

- manual focus or auto?

Auto focus

- how did you transfer the files to your iPad?

Olympus Ol.Share App (while sitting in the park)

- did you change any settings in LF before importing your clips. Ie... which settings did you use ... 24, 25 or 30 fps?

I set the Luma Fusion Project Settings to 24fps (same as shot) - 2.39:1 Widescreen Cinema Frame Aspect

- whatever else you might have done to get such a wonderful first go with your video.

Because I was handheld and not very smooth with camera movements - pretty well all panning and zooming on each of the clips, was done through keyframing while editing in LumaFusion. I also did some basic colour matching on each clip, so there was some consistency.

The Luma Fusion update came through a while back and I checked quickly to see if there was much added - but haven’t done anything to make use of additions or see if they are of value to me.

———

Well, I succumbed, and just purchased LumaFusion... and LumaFX... and have been testing it out... so far so good.

Mostly I’ve been checking out the interface to see if it really is a smooth and easy to navigate as it looked to be in the video tutorials... and for the most part it has been as advertised.

I think one more time through a few of the videos and we’ll be off to the races with this app. The old team from Avid that joined this app development team certainly knew what they were doing! This app is smooth even on my two year old iPad Pro!

So far I’ve just been tinkering with importing from my Photos library and it pulls in jpg’s from any of the albums including shared family albums my kids have set up online. I haven’t checked out either my WD wireless HD or my NAS but that will be next. Will report back when I’ve had a chance to test them out.

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks @Robert Watcher ... very informative... and you don’t give yourself enough credit for your first go at video... very well done indeed... and a good memory for you I suspect!

Btw, not sure if I’ve asked before but where in Ontario are you located?
My home town is just north of London. But my wife and I live outside the country most of the year. Just returning to see family and friends for a few weeks each year.

My home town is just north of London. But my wife and I live outside the country most of the year. Just returning to see family and friends for a few weeks each year.
I used to head down to London for a week every year (major Lawn Bowls tourney). It has since moved to Kitchener where we also have family. Maybe we can meet up half way between L and K some time.

Just a follow up note on LumaFusion!

Wow!

So last Monday or Tuesday I decided to have a go with making a “real” video... a compilation of photos and videos of our grandson for a birthday party to be held on Saturday (a few days ago).

Setup:
Soooo very easy... just click, name file, click on format you want and FPS and you’re away to the races

Import:
I’d didn’t have time to go through my hundreds of photos so decided to just use the ones my daughter has posted online on a family viewing account. Thought it would be a good test as far as accessing photos from external sources. I also found out it was possible to use external drives like a gearbox or WD wireless HD, the latter of which I bought for travel purposes. I was able to easily import from the wifi WD.

Editing:
Not having used this app before, but having a modicum of experience with other video apps, I of course was like any user with some knowledge... thinking I should be able to do in app A what I did in app B. (Think about how we feel about the oly menus vs nikonican menus vs ... you get the point). No app is going to be the same so I shook my head and was determined to learn this one from scratch.
Having said that, from Tuesday through Thursday afternoon I was able to put together a reasonably decent 5 minute video, control timings and transitions, add titling and music and even do some in app photo and video editing. Mission accomplished in a short period of time.

Export:
Brilliant... so easy... click the button, choose your output based on where it’s going and to what platform. I chose movie (not Facebook, or Twitter or Instagram etc) and a save to my WD wireless drive. Magic... way faster than I thought it would be for a 388 mb video... that takes no space on my iPad!

Viewing:
Oh crap! Showed great when using FileBrowser app on my iPad to access the WD drive... and fast there too! But when I saved it to a USB thumb drive and plugged it into my Samsung tv it was a no go. The tv read the drive ok but could not play the video. Not good. There is a pretty good forum for support by users and LF tech so I went there to find an answer as well as do my own online research. A combo of advice and me just tinkering came to this... I had saved with original format of file... 16:9 ratio, codec as it should be according to the manual. However the video did not export as a 1920 x 1080 but had some number (memory thing here) of more like 2187 x 1146. Bottom line... my tv could only read 1920 x 1080. Once I converted to that I was home free on my home tv.

Final showing:
Huge success. On our kids newer tv (4K) the original video showed brilliantly.

Thoughts:
Apparently this app runs on the iPhone as well... meaning that next trip I could be taking my (soon to be new) iPhone on the next trip with the WD HD. This puppy flies, faster than some of the other apps I’ve used before for making videos. I used the Apple pen as well and it made editing even easier. Once I got into the basics a little more I was able to sync up the video clips with the music even closer than I had when I started the project on the Tuesday. I didn’t have time to go back and correct some of my early syncs but will definitely know better for next time.

LumaFusion... definitely a keeper app for me.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
gus
I installed limafusion two days ago, like what I can do with it But I got one problem.

I can't select multiply clips on the time line which is a really bad thing. Say that you have almost finished a piece your working on but want to throw in a extra clip or two then you need to manually move each clip ...

I hope there's a fix for this if so, the app is perfect for my need

I installed limafusion two days ago, like what I can do with it But I got one problem.

I can't select multiply clips on the time line which is a really bad thing. Say that you have almost finished a piece your working on but want to throw in a extra clip or two then you need to manually move each clip ...

I hope there's a fix for this if so, the app is perfect for my need
Haven't tried that yet however they have a new version coming out in about 4 - 6 weeks if I'm reading it correctly. It looks like it will expand it's working lines to 6 video and 6 audio... and there are hints of multiple selections (something that I enquired about since first starting into it). I'm thinking that this would work for you.

In the meantime, if you mark a spot on the timeline can you insert a blank item, and will it shift everything or just the line that is highlighted. I'll have to take a look and see. Im thinking that if one track only is selected then it would naturally shift only that one line, however if no tracks were selected (is this possible, dunno!) and you were to mark the timeline above the tracks, then inserting a blank item should shift everything.

Have you checked out their community forums or sending an enquiry to their Support? I had a few questions I couldn't find in their Knowledge Base and they responded pretty quickly.

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
gus
I just gave them a mail, we'll see Hope for the best . I will update here if they say something promising . Thanks for your input

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
gus
Got this answer today from lumafusion :

"We do plan on implementing ‘copy/paste/select/select all’ features for the timeline. But we currently don’t have a firm date for when that will be. I personally can’t wait to see the feature implemented myself as it would definitely improve the editing experience overall. So I totally understand the need for this feature."

Got this answer today from lumafusion :

"We do plan on implementing ‘copy/paste/select/select all’ features for the timeline. But we currently don’t have a firm date for when that will be. I personally can’t wait to see the feature implemented myself as it would definitely improve the editing experience overall. So I totally understand the need for this feature."
Thanks for posting Gus. My fingers will be tightly crossed for this feature set. It has been one of the higher requested sets that I have seen so I expect it to be implemented in the next go round.

Have you had a chance to take a look at the demo vids for the upcoming update? They look very promising.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom