1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Luma loopit arrived!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Ducati_Don, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Ducati_Don

Ducati_Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Received my Lu Ma loopit today! Just in time for my 13 day long trip through Asia! I'll post up a report upon it's use!

Don

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ducati_Don

Ducati_Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Using this loop makes accessing the camera a snap! Having it right on your hip for instant action is very nice indeed! The movement is smooth, quick and light. The camera sits comfortably on my hip and the strap does not dig in. Adjustability of the strap is excellent and I can tailor the size to what I am wearing. i.e., big bulky coat, sweater, shirt sleeves, etc.

The major fault for me using the GF-1 is that the nylon cord that attaches to the quick disconnect is difficult to pass through the strap bosses on the camera. I had to use the supplied ring in order to make a connection to the strap and the quick disconnect lanyard.

In order to prevent marring and scratching, I also cut out a small piece of leather to protect the paint around the boss. I do not like the current setup, it allows the quick disconnect to flail around when I am not using the loop it.

I like to maintain a wrist strap on the boss also, and with the ring, the small leather protector, and the loop it quick disconnect, it makes for a whole lot of dangly stuff!

The fix will be to order the tripod mount screw and have the nylon strap from the quick disconnect attached to it. I can then remove it quickly when I need to.

Otherwise I really like the idea and hopefully will find myself using this setup often. More to come on the use of this item, as I am currently in Guangzhou, China and will be doing a walkabout soon!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    mine is on it's way so I look forward to testing it too and comparing thoughts.

4. Ducati_Don

Ducati_Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Did you purchase the tripod mount as well? On a side note, I just flew in the Guangzhou from Sydney last night! Had dinner at The Oaks in Neutral bay!

• Like Like x 1
  5. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    As I couldn't get hold of a loopit in time for a trip to Barcelona this week I bought Op/Tech's sling solution and I've been delighted with it. The quick disconnect at the camera end fits on the GF1 as it uses a flat cord loop and as the buckles are plastic there is no risk of damage.

The strap was very comfortable and the sling design is a boon, made using the camera much easier whilst tramping the trade halls at Mobile World Congress. I'm a convert to the system now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Darren
    Could you point me to what strap you ended up with

Thanks Phil

7. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    This is the one I went with. Op/Tech Utility Strap. Has the added advantage of compatibility with other Op/Tech accessories as well.

Comes with the strap/shoulder cushion and two quick-release connectors.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Question for those who are using these types of slings (be they from Lu.ma, Op/Tech, Gordy's, etc.):

Do these slings work well without a viewfinder?

I really like the concept of these things, but I don't (yet) have an EVF for my E-PL1. All of the photos I've see of these slings in use depict the user holding the camera up to his eye. It doesn't appear that the slings have sufficient length to allow one to comfortably frame a shot while holding the camera away from one's body as one does when using the LCD screen.

Does anyone have experience with this setup that they can share?

9. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm not using an EVF and it worked fine. There is sufficient adjustment to allow it to be used in the normal manner when framing using the LCD. You wouldn't be able to use with arms fully extended but that's to be expected.

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah, no different than when using a typical neck strap I imagine. I am jealous...mine is in the mail. Hopefully not to delayed by going through the Canadian border.

11. LumaGreg

LumaGreg New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2011
    The split ring solution is not the best, but the GF-1 has such narrow brackets that the alternative was to cook up an entirely different lanyard system just for it. Fairly straightforward widget to create, but it becomes difficult to explain to people why there are multiple options when introducing an entirely new camera strap connection system.

Duncan (the other founder of Luma) and I are both big GF-1 shooters, so we'll probably create something for these cameras sooner rather than later.

Shame I didn't find this forum until now; I could have told Don about our PodMount sale going on for Portland area Ducati riders!

(Luma is in PDX and I ride a black Hyper 1100S!)

12. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    Need it be that complicated? Using flat material would be sufficient to get the loops past the GF-1's narrow brackets and would be suitable for every other device too?

13. LumaGreg

LumaGreg New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2011
    We went with the cord because it is significantly stronger than the flat webbing. More accurately; the flat webbing is tremendously strong, but that little plastic tri-glide that you thread it through to lock the camera on is not. We've seen some fail in testing at as little as 50lbs.

Our cord is built by Sterling Rope in Maine and has a certified minimum breaking strength of 300lbs. At only 2mm, it fits into almost every widely used camera bracket (save the GF-1 and Leicas). It feels better against your skin than flat webbing (more critical with our sling's design than a traditional neck strap) and it is very fray resistant. It is very cool stuff actually.

In the end, a small company like ours has limited bandwidth to manage production, inventory and marketing so we have to limit the number of widgets we launched at one time. The current Luma Connector is strong enough to carry big SLRs carrying pro quality glass and can be adapted to work with any small camera (using the split key or tri-glide). A lanyard designed for smaller camera brackets can't scale up the same way the current lanyard can scale down, so it only made sense for us to launch with the current design.

Though, having found this forum, I am half temped to make up a few Lanyards that will work with GF-1 brackets. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  14. DarrenG

DarrenG Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Hampshire, UK
    I had to Google tri-glide! Is that the plastic buckle used in camera straps? I'm not suggesting you use one of them. Simply a flat webbing loop that terminates at your quick-release connector. The loop can be passed through the camera bracket and over itself to secure?
    I'm only suggesting it be used for the quick release/camera connect. Not sure why that would be an issue with comfort against skin?
    Understood. Just suggestion an option for future consideration. Love the design and would have chosen yours over the Op/Tech had it been available in time.

15. razumoff

razumoff Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    France, Paris
    Hi Greg,
    Do you have a partner company who sells the Luma products in Europe ?
    It's easiest, in my view, to order from Europe than USA.
    Kind regards

16. Ducati_Don

Ducati_Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Luma Greg,
    I just placed an order for the PodMount on line! Is the discount still possible?
    I ride a black 1200 Multi S! I am also the President of the local Ducati club in Portland!

Don

17. Ducati_Don

Ducati_Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Greg,
    I am hoping that the pod mount will fix my problem. I currently have removed the Luma system from my camera until I can make this work. The small ring that is supplied with the strap does not move freely in the camera bracket and I am now worried about scratching the camera.
    Don

18. LumaGreg

LumaGreg New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2011
    I'll bunch up my replies into one post, so I don't appear to be running up my post count!

Yup, that little plastic bit on the webbing at the end of your camera strap. You run your webbing through the camera and back through the plastic bit to lock it on. There are about 5 or 6 different names for that thing: Ladder lock, tri-glide, webbing slide, strap keeper, sliding adjuster. Personally, I think "tri-glide" sounds the nicest, so that is what we use. :smile:

The trouble is this; when you pass the webbing through the camera bracket, it is two layers thick, so it won't fit. Also, if you do manage to get it through, when you circle hitch it on, the webbing twists and binds in funky ways that expose the (sharp) webbing edge against your hand. Hence the latter comment about comfort.

Unfortunately, we don't have distributors yet. Part of our business model is direct sales; removing middle men allows us to build far nicer products than anyone else (the stainless Luma Connector hardware costs the same to build as most other guys spend making a whole sling system). By the time distributors got their markup going, we would be priced way out of the market.

We do offer very low cost world wide shipping (I think it is $8; not my side of the house though).

Understood. I've begun work on a better solution for the GF1. Drop me an email (greg@lu.ma) and we'll make you our first tester.

19. Ducati_Don

Ducati_Don Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Not happy!

After two weeks of using this product I am sorry to say that I have to give it a thumbs down! First, the nylon cord does not even fit through the GF-1 strap bosses! Second, the supplied split ring has caused havoc with the boss! It does not fit well and with it "sticking" in the slot the boss has sustained serious marring and scratching! I know that cameras will take wear and tear, but this split ring is destroying my strap boss! Third, the small rubber grommets that sit on the aluminum barrel have a tendency to roll out of the grooves they sit in, as a matter of fact, I lost one in Hong Kong trying to use the quick disconnect(which by the way is not so quick) when it rolled off the barrel completely and disappeared!

Finally, the aluminum barrel hangs off the camera and flails about, it is driving me crazy! I hope to return this product and get a refund, but I am not hopeful!!

Back to the drawing board to find something else!!

Don

20. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Sorry that didn't work out for you. I've personally had none of those issues, maybe because I've been using the tripod socket as an attachment points for this, and all of the other sling straps I've tried. When I've tried them with lug attachments, I didn't like the way the camera hung at my side and the strap always felt like it was in the way of something when I brought it up to shoot. With the tripod attachment, its just much more out of the way. No problem with the rubber rings moving out of their grooves or with being driven crazy.

To me, its the best of the sling strap arrangements I've tried and if I haven't tried them all, I've come close (although its not near as pretty as the Gordy's!).

I hope you find something you like,

-Ray