Luigi's GF1 case

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bullfrog, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

I just got a mail from Luigi saying he's got a prototype GF1 case worked up. Have a look here:

http://leicatime.com/a000CasesOtherDigitalCameras.htm

He assures me the final models will be better cut. No reason at all to disbelieve him given the quality of his work so far!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    That looks beautiful Paul, thanks for the heads-up... can't wait to see the E-P1/2 version!

Cheers

Brian

3. Bullfrog

Yeah, I'm seriously tempted. It's my birthday soon so if I ask nicely...:) I'd want a screw attachment on the bottom though but I'm sure that can be arranged.

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Thanks Paul,
    His stuff is wonderful. I don't do cases but I have many of his straps....
    Don

5. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, I think it would need one to hold it in place. Still, this looks like the prototype and I like the design.

Cheers

Brian

6. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I emailed him a while ago about a GF1 case and never got a reply back.
    Maybe he's responding to demand.

7. sinophilia

sinophilia Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Verona, Italy
    I can't say anything on product quality, but 180/200 euro for a case? This guy really knows how to sell "made in Italy"! With all the money he certainly makes, he should be able to pay a good translator for his English Website - not to mention the fact that he should also hire a good webdesigner! His pages are a pain to read, worse than the worst eBay auctions. Last but not least, the part on the former Italian government supposedly hindering his business due to the strictness of customs controls is just too much for me. I'm sure the current government is helping him a lot in his tax evading effort.

I wouldn't want one of his products even if he gave it to me for free.

Sorry for the rant!

8. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I agree with you. His website is a disgrace. I've just bought two excellent (non-italian) cases for GF1 and E-P2.

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Well, I have to laugh because I posted elsewhere in the "Bags..." thread that I needed a translation if I were ever to attempt an order.:rofl: My only other comment is that the people who have some of his products seem to absolutely love them.

10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Responsible consumerism... can't fault it.

He makes nice stuff though :rofl:

Cheers

Brian

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Could be a challenge

As with all his cases I am sure the quality of this and the finish will be well worth the money.

I do have one concern though and it is a major one - how is the camera retained in the case?

There is no base screw or straps to hold it in as in the Panasonic case, the only way that I can see to hold it in is to feed the shoulder strap through the case and lugs - secure yes, practical no - it will be fiddly and time consuming to change cards, batteries or just download images!

If the camera just "slides in" then in time it could be prone to "sliding out" as the leather softens.

Perhaps I am missing something and if so, please correct me but a well made and expensive case indeed but not as quick or as practical as the Panasonic full case that costs a fraction of the price - oh yes, it is only a half case!

12. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Ian, I'm pretty sure this is a prototype - and wouldn't entertain it without a base screw. As you say, there's nothing to hold the camera in place at the moment.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bullfrog

My concern as well. I've asked him about fitting a flush retaining screw like he has on some other cases. I'll let you know what he says.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    There will be a base screw. He uses high grade Stainless Steel.
    His products have no competition..........

Language should not be a problem, right......website either....
    He's a very responsible guy that makes great straps....etc...
    I have many straps and nothing, bar nothing else comes close......

Ya gettin the feelin' I like his stuff yet?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Mmmmmm have to consider this when I see the finished article and a flush mounted screw sounds great, if it has a tripod fitting thread it will be even better - yes I know, I do want everything!

• Like Like x 1
  16. pointoneeight

pointoneeight Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Brighton, UK
    The strap I recently purchasesd for my girlfriends Nikon FM2n was great quality. I'll admit the website could definately do with a facelift but that shouldn't detract from the quality of the items.

My order was delayed as it was in the lead up to Christmas, but as a thankyou for my patience I received a free leather strap for my GF1. Great customer service!

The new GF1 case does look great, but I can't justify 200 euro just yet...

17. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Alan, how does the strap you got fit into the strap lugs of your GF1? could you upload an illustration of how it fits?

I want to order a strap for the Oly E-P2, but I still haven't had a reply from Luigi about which strap I need exactly, and I'm still waiting to see his case for the E-P1/2.

Cheers

Brian

18. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Meanwhile, in Tokyo. . . .

Oh. So you'd all better forget about the fact that Mr Hirano is already producing cases for this camera. (one version, alternatives)

19. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Oh, hohoho but we do know about Mr. Hirano's cases. I would love to have one but just can't afford it right now. They look exceptionally well made and are very good looking.

I think that Luigi has a cult, that's all.:wink:

20. Bullfrog

Well, I plan on getting one of his GF1 cases. I have a Hirano that will then be looking for a new home....so if anyone is interested pm me.