LTM > m4/3 adapter solution

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by traveler_101, May 20, 2010.

1. traveler_101

traveler_101 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I need an adapter to attach Leica screw mount lenses to my E-P1. I went to Steve Gandy's Cameraquest site. His recommendation is to piggy back two Voigtlander adapters, the Leica M to :43: + the LSM to Leica M. Has anyone ever tried that? I imagine that may be the best solution, but we're talking over $200. :frown:

On the other hand, what exactly is the alternative? I've been scanning the boards. Roxsen is mentioned and someone also said that ordering from them is like a crap shoot: the adapter may or may not show up. RJ Camera was recommended, but I also read that one of their adapters fit the camera like a "loose tooth." Oz Ray has pointed out that the best adapters use brass fittings. There was a really nice one with brass fittings at a German site recommended to me for €42, but they charge €60 to ship it. There's DC's Camera. They have one, with brass fittings, for $70, but only for the Leica M bayonet lens. Not sure what to do actually. :rolleyes:

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Get a Leica M adapter from RJ, then a LTM to M adapter.....
    your all set. I have a few RJ's and all are great....

3. Jonas B

Jonas B Guest

Apr 23, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I use a beautiful Milich LTM-->µ4/3 adapter. All brass, heavy, expensive. Wonderful.
    But that shouldn't be necessary, why not just mail RJ (he is good to work with) and ask about the current status of the LTM adapter?

Jonas

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    also rainbowimaging sells a ltm to m4\3 for cheap i have one and its fine

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    They are all reasonably good, the variations are often minor when you are looking at the Chinese adapters. The very good ones have a chrome plated brass flange on both the lens and camera side (but you pay for it), and slightly better lens release mechanisms.The typical ones are alloy to the camera bayonet, with a chrome plated brass for the lens side (make one camera adapter and many lens adapters).

The list I provided (that's now lost in time) has a wide variety of suppliers and I've got adapters from just about all of them and not one is what I'd call useless. They just vary slightly in design. If you want the absolute best, get the Voigtlander adapters, otherwise get any of the Chinese brands listed. As mentioned RJ is good and I'm happy to suport him, as he's been very forthcoming in making adapters on request.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. traveler_101

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Streetshooter, when you say the LTM to M adapter, you mean Voigtlander's? My main question, though . . . in your experience does piggybacking the two adapters provide better results? RJ also has a M39 to micro 4/3 which would be far less expensive, but I will spend more for the two adapters if it is beneficial in some way.

Thanks, Mark

7. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It's only beneficial if you have both M & M39 lenses.
    When I got my adapter for my LTM...there were no LTM to M4/3 available or even made.
    Now, it appears that there are many....
    The guys above are steering you in a better direction than I am.....
    I have many RJ adapters and very happy with all of them....

• Like Like x 1
  8. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I've got one of the cheaper Chinese M39-µ43 adapters, which I use for my Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 on the GF1. It fits fine, but there are two peculiarities: the "top" of of the lens ends up at 9 o'clock (looking at the camera front-on) and the lens actually focusses beyond infinity, which is slightly annoying... Anyone else had these problems, and do any of the other adapters avoid these minor problems?

9. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Oooops,
    I also have an adapter from M39-m4/3 from the Polish machinist on Ebay.
    Very nicely crafted AND.....
    The inner ring to attach the lens has 3 set screws.
    You can adjust orientation and infinity focus very easy....
    Forgot about this one but it's probably the best solution...

10. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    shooter what of this machinist , info please

what i have now is a voigtlander m to m4\3 and a chinese ltm to m4\3
    one cost 150 dollars and one cost 30

i want 1 more

11. traveler_101

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Right, this is similar to the one on the German site that was too expensive with the shipping. What is the address of the Polish guy?

12. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
  13. traveler_101

Feb 25, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks, Streetshooter but the Polish guy's new one piece adapter doesn't seem any better than the one I had already ordered from R.J. Camera which had been recommended by a couple of people. In addition the listing has expired and it doesn't seem to have been re-listed yet. :rolleyes: What worries me about all of these cheaper non-adjustable adapters is that chasm's experience may be more common than is widely acknowledged:

Being maligned like than should make zone focusing a lot of fun! :eek: Well there's nothing to do now but wait, and if the one from RJ Camera isn't suitable I can always get the Voigtlander adapters. After all, it's only money . . .:biggrin:

14. josh

josh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    who is RJ? i need some adapters, does anybody have a link to a store or something?

15. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
  16. marduk

marduk New to Mu-43

Sep 27, 2010
    Ukraine
    I guess it's Robert Jagitsch (aka monza) who also makes Contax G to Micro 4/3 adapters: Contax G – Micro 4/3 and does Leica repaint/restoration work. I don't feel like posting his email here, just write his name dot surname at gmail.com or ask me in PM.

17. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    Mine is from Hong Kong (about$20):
    a d p l o

and it works P E R F E C T L Y !

I must say that I own only low to mid price lenses - so my point of veiw is maybe not the same as from a Leica enthusiast...

18. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    No, RJ is in China, and he built some of the original adapters for the m4/3 mount when the G1 came out. His designs have been since copied by many others and sold at a great discount, and with varying degrees of quality. He probably buys his from those same cheap manufacturers now and sell them as his own for a profit because I've had issues with some of the latest adapters I got from him. Here's the link to his link:

RJ camera accessory store items - Get great deals on adapter rings step rings, macro photography items on eBay Stores!

19. marduk

marduk New to Mu-43

Sep 27, 2010
    Ukraine
    Aha, good point - RJ means RJ camera in HK.

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I recently had to re-align my LTM adapter for a different lens : found my cheapo Roxsen adapter was excellent quality, with three grub screws and nice tolerances.