LSF - RAW file exposures sometimes don't match

ata3001

Mu-43 Rookie
I have a Pen F (bought new) but now with approx 11k exposures on it. When my file size is set to LSF - RAW, sometimes the RAW file is under exposed by almost 3 stops compared to the nicely exposed LSF file. Another issue is occasionally both the viewfinder & rear panel look almost bleached out until I turn off the camera & then turn it back on at which time it looks normal. anyone else have these issues?

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi & welcome!

Exposure - both the RAW and JPEG were underexposed, but the JPEG engine's auto-gradation and other tweaks cover it up. Try enabling the histogram display and you'll be able to get a better idea of your exposures while shooting.

Bleached display... haven't heard of that. You could try the latest firmware.

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
What you are describing is impossible, since the camera creates the JPG file from that same raw file.
How do you know the raw file is underexposed? How are you processing it? What software, what settings? This is where the answer must lie. Check the default processing settings for the raw file in the software you are using. Go back to basics and look at the histograms.
To confirm this you could look at the raw file in Olympus Workspace, which you probably don't use, as you won't have changed its settings from the defaults.

I have not seen a bleaching problem in the viewfinder or LCD. Have you been changing the default settings for them? Or using +3 exposure compensation? Or using optical viewfinder mode, or something else?
If the dial is set to C1, C2 etc, then turning the camera off and on will revert the settings to the defaults for that stored setting.
You could reset the camera.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Veteran
Pretty sure the meter exposes for your jpg settings, so if you have some punchy vibrant jpg settings, the raw will likely look quite underexposed - depending on your raw processor.

ata3001

Mu-43 Rookie
What you are describing is impossible, since the camera creates the JPG file from that same raw file.
How do you know the raw file is underexposed? How are you processing it? What software, what settings? This is where the answer must lie. Check the default processing settings for the raw file in the software you are using. Go back to basics and look at the histograms.
To confirm this you could look at the raw file in Olympus Workspace, which you probably don't use, as you won't have changed its settings from the defaults.

I have not seen a bleaching problem in the viewfinder or LCD. Have you been changing the default settings for them? Or using +3 exposure compensation? Or using optical viewfinder mode, or something else?
If the dial is set to C1, C2 etc, then turning the camera off and on will revert the settings to the defaults for that stored setting.
You could reset the camera.
I process my files in Lightroom & Photoshop. The camera is set to Natural & with no jpg modifications. After uploading the images to lightroom then viewing them, most of the LSF-RAW images match each other, however I do get the random file where the RAW file is almost 3 stops darker than the very nicely exposed jpg. Below is one of the LSF & RAW images.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm not new to Lightroom or Photoshop having been using them extensively for almost 20 years.
The bleaching out happens just randomly, without changing any settings on the camera. Turning the camera off, then back on brings the viewfinder & rear display panel back to normal.
Oops, Sorry for the duplicate set of images

ata3001

Mu-43 Rookie
UPDATE!
I am currently up to date with the most current version of Lightroom.
I now believe it's a Lightroom issue. When I go to "Develop settings" & choose reset, It brings the RAW file back to where it's supposed to be. I do use a develop preset I created when importing the images, but that only consists of a slight increase in contrast & a reduction in the highlights (due to harsh stage lighting), -7 for blacks, +15 clarity & auto lens correction. These same corrections are supplied to all of the theater shots including those that did not have these exposure issues. Apparently the problem is with Lightroom & not the camera.
The overexposure issue of the viewfinder/rear control panel is a camera issue though that only occurs sporatically & I'll continue to monitor this to see if it begins happening more often.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
according to Exif data you are using Mac computer.
I read somewhere that the latest update to the OS on some devices is not happy with Adobe products. But since I am not a Mac user I didn't read further into it...

ata3001

Mu-43 Rookie
according to Exif data you are using Mac computer.
I read somewhere that the latest update to the OS on some devices is not happy with Adobe products. But since I am not a Mac user I didn't read further into it...
I also read that the newest OS doesn't play well w/Lightroom & Photoshop which is why I haven't upgraded yet. Still a mystery!

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
UPDATE!
I am currently up to date with the most current version of Lightroom.
I now believe it's a Lightroom issue. When I go to "Develop settings" & choose reset, It brings the RAW file back to where it's supposed to be. I do use a develop preset I created when importing the images, but that only consists of a slight increase in contrast & a reduction in the highlights (due to harsh stage lighting), -7 for blacks, +15 clarity & auto lens correction. These same corrections are supplied to all of the theater shots including those that did not have these exposure issues. Apparently the problem is with Lightroom & not the camera.
The overexposure issue of the viewfinder/rear control panel is a camera issue though that only occurs sporatically & I'll continue to monitor this to see if it begins happening more often.
I'm glad you have been able to confirm that the problem was in the processing.

Regarding the viewfinder/LCD, check menu J:
"EVF Adjust: Adjust viewfinder brightness and hue.
Brightness is automatically adjusted when [EVF Auto
Luminance] is set to [On]. T
he contrast of the information
display is also adjusted automatically."
Do you have that option EVF Auto Luminance on - try turning it off.

ata3001

Mu-43 Rookie
I'm glad you have been able to confirm that the problem was in the processing.

Regarding the viewfinder/LCD, check menu J:
"EVF Adjust: Adjust viewfinder brightness and hue.
Brightness is automatically adjusted when [EVF Auto
Luminance] is set to [On]. T
he contrast of the information
display is also adjusted automatically."
Do you have that option EVF Auto Luminance on - try turning it off.
EVF Auto Luminance was set to on. I turned it off & will see if this helps. Thanks

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom