1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LS-14 with E-M1 question

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by planning, Mar 15, 2015.

1. planning

planning New to Mu-43

May 23, 2011
    Whren using LS-14 as external mic for OMD EM-1 what are best setting for LS-14 and also EM-1?
    I am getting cleaner sound without LS-14 then with it.
    Thanks
    LDF

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I don't use the LS-14 however in the past I've recorded external audio as well as the in camera so there's both to work with, use a clap board (or click your fingers, whatever) to sync them with the video. I've found the in camera audio is generally pretty good with the main problem being handling/wind noise, external allowing better isolation/wind shields.

If you're plugging the LS-14 into the E-M1 via it's monitor turn it's level up so that the E-M1 doesn't need to amplify it, this will lower the noise slightly (absolutely huge problem on some Nikon bodies (D800 I'm looking at you) - however it still applies to most brands). On the E-M1 go into its audio settings and make sure when the monitor is set to a reasonable value that the volume isn't so high that it clips (assuming the LS-14 is setup correctly itself to avoid clipping).

Take it all with a grain of salt as I'm not fantastic at it, it might be worth talking to some of the black magic people as they're generally far more practiced at this particular art form.

3. planning

planning New to Mu-43

May 23, 2011
    Eteless
    Thanks for the useful information.
    Do you think I will get better quality running a mic to the camera rather than through the LS-14?
    Seems like too many variables with LS-14 that can not be checked till after the event as there is no ear jack on EM1
    LDF