LR5 'TRIAL' reads ORF but...UPDATE

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Dave in Wales, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I've forked out an arm-and-a-leg on the full version of LR5.

The trial version showed thumbnails of, and read my ORF....but....the FULL VERSION does not.

All I get is a diag box that says 'The file is not recognised by the RAW format support in Lightroom'......but it was in the trial version.

I'm running Windows 7, using an EM1 and I've downloaded ACR 8.7.1.

Help, please.

I'm a none techie, aged 71 nearly 72, so simple instructions with words of one sylable (or less) ;-)), would be VERY much appreciated.

My wife said she is fed up with my %$£()£({}}y expletives.

TIA
    'Extremely frustrated' of Wales.

Oh BTW, I have a download of 'Fisheye-Hemi' how do I get that into LR5 please.

Update....YIPEE...SORTED....I think :thumbup:

I had a chat with Adobe, this is part of it ...

Jaikumar: Please press and hold Windows+R key from your keyboard
    David: That takes me to RUN
    Jaikumar: Please type %programdata%\Adobe in run window
    Jaikumar: Please delete Lightroom 5.0 InstallCookie file, re-launch Lightroom application, enter the serial number, it will work.
    David: It seems to be working, thank you Jaikumar

Many thanks for all your help guys. :2thumbs:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Do you have a download or boxed version? If boxed, make sure you update Lightroom (not ACR) to the latest version.

Check what Lightroom version (5.x) you have. I'm not sure when the E-M1 was added, but it was probably not in the earlier 5.x releases.

3. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I was going to say, make sure you update to latest. i think it is at 5.7.1. if you are not at that level, you need to update first.

woof!

4. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thanks both, I have downloaded the update recommended by LR5 Help............http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5853

It is the boxed version of LR5.

Should have mentioned it's Windows 7 x 64bit.

5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Take a look after the update. My guess is that this is the issue. Either you did an update to trial, trial build did some kind of auto-update or as downloaded it was a later build than the build you got in the box. I have hit all these scenarios in my software travels.

6. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    This AM the trial would not accept my serial number when I tried to 'BUY', so I installed it off the disc.

I've now uninstalled it and am in the process of downloading the trial 'again'....hopefully it will accept my serial number this time.

Watch this space.

Any more ideas greatefully received.

7. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    You don't have to "buy" the trial...but there was another option to just enter the serial#...it was slightly confusing to me at the time. And yes, definitely have to update.

8. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    OK Latest......
    Uninstalled LR5.
    Reinstalled Trial, would not accept my serial number.
    Uninstalled.
    Reinstalled from disc.
    Updated
    Still will not recognise ORF thumbnails or open ORF files.
    Heeeeelp reqd. :))))))))

9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    ORF files have been around quite a while before the EM1. So it should read them even if it's not optimised for the EM1.

10. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The trial read them.

11. Ger.mcg

Ger.mcg Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    Ireland
    Ger
    Did you exit the program and restart the computer after the update?

12. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I think we need to find out why the serial number is not being accepted. Adobe will help you for sure. You paid them money and can't use the product.

13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    That's not necessarily true. You have to install a version of LR that was released after compatibility with your individual camera model was announced. In this case LR 5.3 is the earliest that has full support for the E-M1.

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Are you saying then that LR could read older ORFs but block EM1 ORFs? Weird.
    Remember, he's saying they cannot be read. Not they are being read, but not correctly displayed.

Anyway, if the trial reads ORFs, the full version should read them.
    Anyway, anyway, it's solved. And it looks like you need to use DOS to use Lightroom sometimes. Adobe. What a screw up.

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    xxxx.ORF (Olympus RAW File... I guess?) merely identifies that the file is an Olympus file, just as .NEF is a Nikon file and .ARW is a Sony file and so on

The actual data and the ordering of that data is generally specific to a particular camera model, which is why when a new model comes out most RAW processors need to be updated in some way to read the new files.

Glad he got it sorted....so glad I am a Mac user....not that we don't have issues, but they are usually loveable quickly

cheers

K

16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I don't think they need to be updated to read the files. Just to get the best colours out of them. That is the case with other RAW software anyway.
    This doesn't have anything to do with the operating system. Just stupid Adobe again.

17. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    LR needs to be updated every time a new camera model comes up otherwise it won't read the orfs. Same for Capture One. My last LR before Capture one was version 4. And it refuses to read E-P5 orfs. The workaround is to change the camera model on the exif header to E-M5 using something like exiftool.

18. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

err no.... just because a file has the extension .ORF doesn't mean every RAW interpreter that has once been able to read and interpret an ORF file will be able to read and interpret future .ORF files.

I have 7 years of history with Olympus cameras and shooting RAW. Each camera, E-510, E-P1, EM5 and EM1 produced a file called .ORF... but each time there was a period where the latest models' .ORF file could not be read or interpreted by my software of choice, Aperture. The same was true for programs like Lightroom and Capture One

Its kind of understandable, as new models will have sensors of different sizes, characteristics, or indeed layouts - e.g. the Phase Detect pixels in an E-M1.

Sometimes there are work arounds until the software guys work out how to interpret the files - they usually have to reverse engineer this, as the RAW file format for any particular manufacturer or model is proprietary information to that camera company, and as a rule they tend not to publish or make available the precise spec. RAW is not a standardised file format

Changing the EXIF can sometimes work... with the E-P1 if you changed a couple of strings in the RAW file from E-610 to E-P1 then Aperture would read and display the files albeit without lens distortion correction. For others this simple routine either works in odd ways or not at all.

cheers

K

19. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I see. Not used any of those programs that block reading ORF files.

20. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    That's weird... I see nowhere that the OP has stated that this is fixed. The last thing he said was that it wasn't fixed and then nothing. What am I missing?