1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LR5 resource use

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jcm5, May 26, 2015.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    I'm curious to find out from you all how LR5 (or 6?) performs on your computer. I've been finding that LR5 gets very slow and uses a lot of resources on my Macbook pro (mid 2012, 4GB ram), especially when I'm using its Flickr plugin to upload (basically I wouldn't be doing much with the computer while this is happening bc it's hogging up so much memory). Is this normal? I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my RAM (or something else)...

What computers do you all use with LR5/6 and how does it perform when you are editing/uploading/etc.?

Thanks in advance.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A well designed program is going to take as much resources as it can use in order to finish the work faster. That is what lightroom is doing on your system. You only have 2 processor cores and 4GB of RAM, so there is not much left when LR gets humming along with real work to do. You could definitely use more RAM, but that doesn't mean your CPU won't also be a bottleneck.

Ideally, I'd say a Quad core i7 (with 8 logical cores) and 16GB of RAM would be great basic setup for Lightroom if you want to also be able to multitask. I have a Quad i5 with 12GB of RAM and I don't have many issues multitasking, but I do have occasional CPU spikes that cause my Pandora streaming to buffer.

I'm at work now, so I can't really check, but there may be a way to make Lightroom run batch at a lower priority. This would make operations take longer, but allow other things to run ahead of LR without hanging or being too slow to use.

3. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Upgrade your ram, it will make a huge difference.

For some reason I always am more comfortable exporting my jpgs and then doing a final editorial pass while they upload via browser, so I've never tried the Flickr plugin -- if that's a major bottleneck you could try my workflow, it would at least allow you to continue using LR while you are uploading.

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Anymore i would never run any Mac with less than 8GB and ideally have at least 16GB. You should be able to get a 16GB set for cheap money. The other thing to do, replace HD with SSD. It makes a world of difference in boot time and in time opening new apps. Also the caches Adobe likes to use for LR or PS will be about to read/write faster with an SSD.

LR 6/CC works very well on my Macbook:
    Retina Macbook Pro late 2013
    2.6GHz CPU
    Geforce GT 750M GPU
    16GB memory
    1TB SSD

If you are thinking of a new Mac, wait for the announcement of when the Skylake series of CPUs and chipsets will be introduced.....hopefully later this year.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  5. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Thank you all for the input. I have a hybrid SSD bc the full SSD is a bit too much $ for my budget.

Do you think it's necessary to go all out with 16GB RAM or would 8GB be sufficient? I think the price is something from 60 to 100 between the two. I wouldn't want to invest too heavily in the RAM if I can't take it with me for a future MB(P)...

6. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Depends on how long you think you'll keep your Macbook, if not long, you could start with an 8gb module and see how it goes. EDIT: I forgot that Apple recommends filling both slots; I think the extra $40 is worth it to max your machine.