1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LR4 Nik compatabilitiy

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Repp, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Anyone else having issues with LR4 not being able to launch applications from the Nik Software set? I can only get HDR Efex Pro to open. Talked w/ their customer service via email and their only suggestion was to uninstall the Nik program before I installed them... which is what I did the first time, and just repeated to be safe. No luck. (this is on a Mac btw)

Any thoughts?

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    NIK (and most other plug-in companies) will need to update their products to support LR4. The same thing happened with the update from 2 to 3.

3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Did some more research and apparently the LR4 Edit-in function may be bugged. People are reporting that they cannot use onOne or the CS5 from the edit-in menu, but all were working with the beta release. Adobe says they are aware and working on a fix.

4. ftwphoto

ftwphoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2011
    Nik announced on Thursday that there was an update available for all their plugins you can download for free from their websites.

5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    As of what they had available today, the new updates on the NIK site do not work. I think that this is an error coming from the adobe side of the house, as it's effecting other plug-ins as well.

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Mac or PC? They all work perfectly on my MacBook with LR4.

Gordon

7. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I am aware that I should upgrade to the new versions of the NIK plugins I'm using (Silver EFEX, Color EFEX and HDR EFEX) but everything works fine for me, even with the old versions in LR4 (Beta)

So, I do not touch it for now !

C U
    Rafael

8. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    From what I've read, it seems to be working fine for the beta and not the release of LR4. And I'm running a 11" MacBook Air with Lion on it. Though people have been posting the same issue on the Adobe forums for PC as well.

9. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Beta and final are both working for me. 2011 MacBook Pro.

Do they work in PS or as a standalone? Have you tried manually adding the Nik programs in the "edit in" dialogue rather than let Nik auto install them?

Gordon

10. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Sadly I don't have PS in order to try it, though they still work in Apature 3. I can open them as stand alone programs, but then it's a headache to save them in the LR catalogue w/ the originales after re-importing it. I've just tried adding the Nik programs into the "edit in" dialogue through the Preferences > External Edit tab with no luck... Gordon, was that the method you were talking about?

11. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Yes, that's the one. Make sure LWZ compression is turned off.

It may be time for an uninstall and re-install.....

Gordon

12. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Did a full reinstall, no luck. I read online that installing the trial of PS Elements had fixed the issue for other people, but just got done installing it and no luck. I've also read that installing the CS5 PS trial could work, so I may give that a shot next.

Bah, this is frustrating.

13. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Installing the trial of Photoshop did the trick... I just hope it wont run the trial timer if I don't open the app. Hopefully Adobe fixes this soon.

14. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    That is triply bizarre. Glad you got it working.

Gordon