LR4 Lens Corrections?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by radamo, Sep 8, 2012.

1. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Hi all,
    I just downloaded the trial of LR4 to see how the lens corrections work with my E-M5 shots. I am running into a few challenges...
    1. Looking at the Lens Correction tool I see none listed for Olympus or Panasonic
    2. The workflow makes no sense at all and I can't find good docs on how to process a batch of images. I do all the "Basic" settings to develop an image and then??? Do I export each one manually? Or is there a way to do all the "Basic" settings and then process only the selected images???
    Thanks for any help.
    RA

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Sigh. Nothing personal, but this question has been answered over and over....

But, part of the m43 standard is that lens correction data is embedded in the lens itself, and included as part of the raw file. Raw converters than know how to read this data (including LR) apply it automatically, so there's no need to download profiles from the web or search for them in other places. One of the advantages of a system designed from the ground up for digital. Some raw converters DON'T use this data, however.

Olympus lenses are encoded for distortion correction. Panasonic lenses are also encoded for lateral CA correction, but this is only written to the raw file when you use a Panasonic lens on a Panasonic body. No CA correction data is written with any Olympus body, nor any Olympus lens.

BTW, if you shoot jpeg, the camera automatically applies this correction data in the jpeg conversion process, too.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Like Meyer said on lens corrections - it does it behind the scenes automagically.

The workflow takes a bit to master (and not that I have yet), but I know that you can do batch processing once you dial in the settings you want. If you use an image sharing service, like 500px or Flickr, make sure to check out the available export plugins for image galleries.

Also, make sure to do some searches for free LR presets. For example:
    Ultimate Collection of The Best Adobe Lightroom Presets - chethstudios Design Magazine

5. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Thank you for the thorough explanation! I am coming from Canon raw processing with Capture One. C1 does NOT recognize this data and therefore I was trying LR4 which I had heard did in fact recognize it. I was unaware that the info was embedded in the raw file and did not require a lens profile. That would explain why my searches for Lens Profiles for LR4 and Micro 4/3 were coming up so fruitless. Also explains why checking the LENS CORRECTION box on and off did nothing.

That is a shame about the CA correction not being recorded on any Oly body.
    Now I just have to figure out how to work with LR4 to see if I want to buy a copy.

RA

6. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
  7. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    BTW... This forum is awesome! Thanks everyone!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend....

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Just my opinion, but LR'w workflow and processing is something I found very difficult to figure out on my own, just by playing with the software. I ended up buying a copy of Lightroom 3 (which was current then) for Photographers by Scott Kelby. It made all the difference in the world. Within a few hours I had a good understanding of how it all worked, and now I love the app.

9. LR4 does a great job of CA correction in the lens correction tools, so I find no great difference between either brand of camera.

10. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I learned lightroom by using the videos on Lynda.com. It costs $25/month to access the videos, but if you sign up for a month you should get what you need. You don't have to sign up to view the first chapter of most of the videos, so you can see what they have anyways.

I typically go through the images one at a time, applying keywords, corrections and star ratings as I go. You can then filter by date, keyword, rating or whatever to get the images you want to export. They can then be batch exported, and you can set up export presets which specify file type, resolution etc to speed things up. There are also publishing setups built in for flickr, facebook and a few others. These will automatically dump images into your account once you set it up.

Regards,
    Dennis