LR3/3.5 Camera Calibration Question.....

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Tom Swaman, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I hope my question has not previously been answered. If I go into the Develop Module of LR3/3.5 and set the camera calibration process to 2010, the dropdown profile menu offers just one selection, namely "Adobe Standard." When I read the appropriate Kelby Bible, it looks like there ought to be a selection of several profile choices even if my Panny GH2 is not profiled by Adobe. Am I missing womething? Why is there not a choice of different profiles?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Dependes on the camera. For the Canikons there are several profiles available, but for less dominant brands (like Panasonic and Olympus) there is generally only the default Adobe profile.

If you have access to an Xrite color checker you can make your own pretty easily.

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
  4. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks folks. I read what you wrote also, but I thought there were some special profiles such as "vivid" and others available. Apparently not.

I have an X-rite chart and colorimeter. I thiunk it a misleading waste to profile a camera. There are too many variables unless one is only shooting one camera under one lighting condition. Besides, this is really for JPEG comparison and I really prefer to process each image individually.

Best regards,
  5. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I have just joined the forum and I was looking for some ACR/ Lightroom profile info for my E-P3 files. I had a couple of things to add to this thread...

Lightroom (and Adobe Camera RAW) does not ship with camera profiles for brands other than Nikon & Canon. Vivid, portrait, etc profiles are specific to particular camera brands and models.

You can make your own profiles fairly easily. X-rite has a product called the Color Checker Passport that includes software to make RAW profiles with a click. You would want to make separate profiles for sun, shade, flash, etc, but the process only takes a few seconds. Once you set your favorite profile as the default in Lightroom there is no "fiddling" with RAW files when you import them.

You can also create your own profiles with Adobe's DNG Profile Creator. This process is made much easier with a color checker chart to set the colors correctly. You can adjust the base tone curve and saturation with the Profile Editor. Once you save the profile you can apply it to your RAW files in LR or ACR.

Camera profiles are not available for JPEG images, as the "profile" is already baked into the file in the camera. You cannot create different camera profiles for JPEG's, but you can get similar results with develop presets in LR.

I am working on a couple of profiles to mimic the "look" of the JPEG's out of the E-P3. Creating profiles with a chart or color checker gives you correct colors, but I really like the saturated-yet-realistic files from the E-P3. I am starting with the "correct" colors and trying to add the right saturation and tone curve to match the Oly JPEG's. I would just shoot JPEG, but the RAW files have significantly more dynamic range. I have noticed this especially with regard to highlight detail.

6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I also have an X-rite Colorchecker chart and I used it to make a profile for my G1 and GH2. Especially the G1's raw files came out a lot better with the custom profile. I guess I must be missing something: what variables are you referring to? ACR automatically chooses the right default profile for both my cameras, so no problem there and I made a dual-illuminant profile (halogen lighting and shadow) and I'm happy with the results without even noticing I'm using a custom profile.
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Well, the profiles that you were looking for we're all made this way. Adobe doesn't have access to the camera manufacturers proprietary information so they make their own profiles anyway and the default profile is a dual illuminate profile made by Adobe.

I've profiled every camera I've owned in the last 4 years (that's a lot of cameras) and in my opinion every profile, except one, (the 1Dmk4) has yielded a better and more usable profile than Adobes attempts. The dual illuminant profiles work well in an incredibly wide range of situations. Also the profiles creat colour curves that are not reproducible with any of the controls in Ligtroom.

You may as well try and see. The software to create a dual illuminate profile is free if you have an Xrite color card anyway.

8. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    You're absolutely right. Once your RAW profile is dialed in, shooting RAW is as easy and painless as shooting JPEGs in the camera. A little set-up goes a long way.

9. cardocpdx

cardocpdx New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2012
    Oly presets for Lightroom

robknight would you be willing to share your presets mentioned?

I've been trying match the results of the Olympus ib software as a beginning point for further refinement in LR3. I've gotten close, but the greens are still not spot on. My settings are as follows:

settings = {
    BlueHue = -5,
    BlueSaturation = 0,
    CameraProfile = "Adobe Standard",
    ColorNoiseReduction = 20,
    ColorNoiseReductionDetail = 50,
    EnableCalibration = true,
    EnableDetail = true,
    GreenHue = 15,
    GreenSaturation = 0,
    LuminanceNoiseReductionContrast = 0,
    LuminanceNoiseReductionDetail = 50,
    LuminanceSmoothing = 20,
    RedHue = 0,
    RedSaturation = 10,
    ShadowTint = 0,
    SharpenDetail = 40,
    SharpenEdgeMasking = 0,
    SharpenRadius = 1,
    Sharpness = 25,

The sharpness and NR settings seemed to be key. The 16 bit TIFF files exported from ib with sharpness "as shot" and NR "off" seem to be sharper than the default setting in LR. Once I managed to (nearly) match the sharpness and noise the color was easier to match. I'm close if I could just get rid of the green cast to the grays I'd be happy.

The grey point tool in LR does a fantastic job as long as every image contains a true neutral gray area to use. Images that don't drive me nuts trying to balance. Those I end up exporting out of ib to TIFF's and then into LR for retouching and final tweaks.

As an aside. The more time I spend trying to match ib output the easier I find it to get from there to the "final" settings I'm after. Hours spent making micro adjustments in LR seem to train my brain on which "knob" to turn and how far to turn it. By the time I get a preset that works like I want it to I'll probably not use it any further due to being far enough up the learning curve that I no longer need the crutch.

I'd still love to see a Pro's settings to get the trademark Oly colors out of LR.
  10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    XRITE is the way to go..

difference is only Subtle :smile: tho'
    You can adjust the default Adobe profile and save it to a new Default setting
    which can be fine if your happy with it

Xrite will give you more absolute results that may not actually be important
    if you do heavy PP and depart from absolute realism.

It is an Art anyways so do as you please its the result that counts and as to whether YOU like it and ordinary viewers of the Image(s) :wink: