LR to Aperture

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, May 1, 2014.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I started off on a PC many years ago with Lightroom. Two years ago when I moved from PC to Mac at home, I stayed with LR. But now that I am using more and more of the apps in the Mac ecosystem, like Maps to put GPS on old images, I want a Mac friendly photo management tool.

So yesterday I purchased Aperture from the app store, and imported 56,002 images as referenced files (the originals stay where I put them using LR). The older files from the 90s and early 2000s were jogs that gave no problem. Aperture also imported all my DNG files that had been created from Canon CR2 originals. My Olympus E-M1 raw files that I had converted to DNG were a problem. So the few of them I had were exported as TIF and Aperture could bring them in. The last couple of days I have been importing my E-M1 raw files into LR as native ORF raw files. So Aperture had no problem importing them. Given the quantity of files....a lot less problems that I would have guessed. :biggrin:

My Aperture library is approximate 50GB. Not too bad given it reflects 56,002 photos. I also created an Aperture Vault as library backup. And of course Time Machine backups up everything.

For the time being I will have fun using both LR and Aperture. Either can open/use the commonly referenced originals. And if Apple does deliver a big upgrade to Aperture this year, I just might drop LR completely. :eek:

Why drop LR for Aperture? Subjective UI differences..I like Aperture design better. Also the easy of integrating Aperture library contents with other Apple apps like iMovie, Maps, Keynote..etc. But folks will say....but Aperture does not have the editing tools that are available in LR. Correct. But if I am seriously editing a photo, LR does not have the tools I likely want either! I will use LR or Aperture for basic edits. But if I need serious work done, I will have the file in some combination of the Nik Collection, Perfect Photo Suite 8, Pixelmater (rarely), or Helicon (if I need to focus stack).

So let's see what the rest of 2014 brings. Very likely we will see killer new versions of both LR and Aperture. It is always good to have options. :wink:

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I did the Aperture beta to full upgrade trick with Mavericks so I started experimenting with it also, the loupe is really cool.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Good to see Aperture getting some love and attention.

It is the only photo software I use, despite having access to many other tools.

It is a very powerful yet liberating piece of software

good luck with your adventures

K

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    @mcasan
    What editing tools does Lightroom have that Aperture lacks?

I ask because I've always been an Aperture user but am fooling around with Lightroom again.

It seems like crazy backward world every time I use it but if there's some real benefit I may buckle down and and learn its ins and outs.

Fred

5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Aperture 3 is missing: Graduated filter. Radial filter. Lens correction. Noise reduction.

I do the filtering in Perfect Effects. Noise reduction is much better in Nik Dfine. So I am mostly miss lens correction in Aperture. If you do want that, DXO Optics is supposed to do a great job.

Let's see if we get an improved Aperture at WWDC.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    How does Aperture handle external editors (in Lightroom-speak)?

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Another Aperture fan. I have LR on my Mac as I have Adobe CC but I haven't found a reason to switch.

8. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    not sure if I can do LR speak - but in APerture you define an external editor such as Photoshop in the preferences, and when you send an image to it it creates an 8 or 16 bit TIFF or PSD (again depending on your Preferences). When you are finished with the external editing the file is returned to Aperture and appears beside the original file. Obviously any Aperture related adjustments are 'baked in' at the point it is sent to the external editor - but I believe this is the same with LR

K

9. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    After several years of Aperture I went the other way (Aperture to Lightroom 5) a few months ago. My reasons:

1) I was never really satisfied with my RAW conversions in Aperture and my side by side results with RAW files are better in Lightroom than in Aperture.

2) I find the Lightroom sharpening, noise removal, and repair brushes to be superior to Aperture equivalents and I really like the grad filter and adjustment brush which Aperture lacks.

3) Lightroom has much more support in terms of color profiles such as Huelight, books, forums, how-to's, presets, plug-ins, etc.

4) On my iMac, Lightroom runs quicker than Aperture did, I don't know why but it's a noticeable change.

5) Finally, it's been so long since we had a real update to Aperture that I don't think it's a very high priority for Apple right now. To me Apple just doesn't seem to care that Aperture is falling behind, especially for people who do RAW processing. If I still shot in JPEG I'd probably still be using Aperture and Nik software, but with RAW I moved to Lightroom and still use Nik for specific tasks like B&W conversion.

Just my thoughts reasons for the opposite move, to each their own. I hope Aperture work better for you.

Nate

10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I have sat through numerous Aperture/Lightroom debates on a variety of fora, and in the end there is never a winner - there are too many variables in all our expectations and aspirations for there to be a definitive answer.

The bottom line is that each program, with an appropriate skill level and the appropriate hardware, is capable of producing excellent results.

Not wishing to create an argument, I have made some comments to Nates points below

In the end, both applications are very good, and if you are not using either of them, you are missing out on tools that turn keeping track of your images, performing post processing quickly and safely, and delivering you images to your platform of choice from a chore to a joy

cheers

K

11. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    In Aperture you can setup a world of plugins. http://www.apple.com/aperture/resources/plugins.html

My external pixel editor is Pixelmator....which i rarely use. My other plugins are the Nik Collection, OnOneSoftware's Perfecti Photo Suite 8 and Helicon Focus for focus stacking. If I need to do something that needs layers....I go to Layers module in Perfect Photo Suite 8.....not an Adobe product. I long ago got rid or PSE12 and PS 6.

Neither LR nor Aperture can/will deliver the depth of capabilities in their native features you can find in the plugins from specialty company plugins.

This should be a good year for photo editing support. We will get OS 10.9.3 for 4K monitor support. With luck we will get a new Apple Thunderbolt display with 4K. We should get a new Aperture to take advantage of the higher resolution. And Adobe should release LR 6 later this year.

12. 211Oakland

211Oakland Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2014
    I've used both. I like LR mostly because it allows me to manage Mac folders more easily than Aperture. I keep camera made images with other graphics files, and need to access photos and other media outside of either Aperture or Lightroom. So my referenced photos may need to be moved more frequently than perhaps those of other people who use a more permanent structure. So LR's facility in just syncing and bringing in new metadata is great, as well as the ability to just move a file elsewhere. Which works exactly like the Finder; so even the non-image files get moved. This means that with some naming conventions and keywords and tags I can keep sound files with the image files and manage them, even though I can't see the sound files in LR. A little thing, but for me it weaned me off Aperture and to LR.

But having said that, if Mr. Friedl ever goes to work for Aperture I may have to bail on LR...I seem to add one of his plugins every day. Can't believe Adobe hasn't hired him.

13. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I agree with your observation on Aperture. I listen to several photography podcasts, and any of them that mention Aperture seem to think that Apple just doesn't care that much about it. LR has had several upgrades since the last one for Aperture. At the very least they should update their RAW converters. Of course, I'm not a big Apple fan in any case, though I have an iPhone and iPad.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Sounds conceptually quite similar to LR - thanks.

15. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

One thing to understand is that Apple do regularly update the raw conversion to support the latest cameras, perhaps not always as speedily as Adobe do, but they are much better than they used to be.

the list of supported cameras is here

http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

What a lot of people don't appreciate is that the RAW support is not part of Aperture, but rather part of the OS, and as such is available to any application written to display an image - this includes Aperture, iPhoto, Preview (the mac equivalent of Acrobat), Pages and even the Finder.

Though its part of the OS it isn't tied to a full OS update, the RAW Support component is updated separately , usually every couple of months to add support for new cameras.

Photography remains very important to Apple, as can be seen in the emphasis they put on the cameras in the iphones and things like Retina displays in their laptops and iPads. Yes Aperture is due for a refresh, and I am sure when it comes it will be interesting, as was the case with Final Cut and Logic but at the end of the day in the overall scheme of things business wise, Lightroom will remain more important to Adobes bottom line than Aperture ever will to Apples

cheers

K

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Here's a tip if you're still using Aperture and shooting RAW with Olympus:

• In Aperture open the RAW file.

• Click the add adjustment drop down menu.

• Click on color.

• Click on the red box.

• Reduce the red saturation to taste, for OM-D E-M5 files I prefer between -20 and -30

• Set the red luminance I set between +5 and +10.

• Now click the add adjustment drop down menu again and select "RAW Fine Tuning".

• Try decreasing the boost slider, I think I usually reduced it by half.

Before I moved to Lightroom these Aperture settings gave me a better starting point for RAW conversions and helped tame the out of whack reds and skin tones I was getting. People finally stopped looking like Killer Tomatoes (off topic: anybody else remember those?). I was using Aperture 3.4 at the time, might be a little different now but probably not, experiment accordingly.

-Nate

• Like Like x 3
  17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Have not seen a problem with E-M1 ORF files. But I don't intentionally shoot people. I stick to still-life, landscapes, and wildlife.

18. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    you can also do it as smart objects which is cool so if you work on a layered PS document and a base layer is a raw you can go back in and tweak the raw file :)

19. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    sadly aperture has not advanced at all in a while ? has a cool color editor but the ability to work on large number of files quickly is not what LR is and the program speed is slowest of the big 3 now

C1 is awesome but a lot to get your head around custom color profiles and things like layers are nice

LR of course now we have some decent base profiles and of course all the correction abilities that are better controlled and more options than Aperture and the ability to do Smart objects round trip with ACR is handy also the smart previews are super cool idea (C1 has something like it also)

hope they do something creative and really pull the best of both of these into a new program but not holding my breathe ? sadly they have become a phone tablet company :(

20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Lightroom seems several years ahead in terms of integrating their product into a mobile environment. As Happy Fish points out they introduced smart previews in LR5 which allows you to edit on your laptop without carrying your entire catalog with you. They have recently introduced Lightroom mobile - which although pretty poor in its first incarnation - is a step in the right direction in terms of integrating an ipad into the workflow. Furthermore, the apps for the ipad are generally aimed at Lightroom users rather than Aperture users - Photosmith is a great App and Mosaic Archive syncs your catalog with Lightroom. So if Aperture cant keep up in terms of integrating Apple products into the workflow, one cant really be too optimistic about its future.