LR/PS CC for less...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Apr 21, 2015.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    LR 6 released today is likely the last LR version to be released as a standalone. So rather than spend $79 on an update or $149 for a new license, you may want to consider a LR/PS CC yearly license for $100.

Attached Files:

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I'd rather pay for the stand alone license so if I'm overseas with really bad internet and CC can't talk to their servers I at least have something to work with rather than it locking me out of all of the programs I've paid for until they decide I'm actually a legitimate user just trying to do work.

Adobe don't seem to understand how frustrating this can be, if I had pirated their software I would have none of the problems I was having as an actual paying customer (I actually considering walking to a local market and buying a pirated edition for a few dollars, an option available in basically every country I know of no matter how rich or poor. This is despite having a full CC suite license on my account).

They treat paying customers like shit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    That's terrible! Are you saying CC doesn't download onto desktop a version that will function without an internet connection? :wtf:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta

Obviously you need to look elsewhere for your needs. What about Capture One Pro?

5. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    If LR6 lasts 2 years like LR5 did, the $80 update is $40 a year.

6. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I use a prepaid card for everything internet facing these days (after the Stratfor hack/dump was ... very inconvenient for me) and I've had the CC sub renewal lapse on payment for weeks before I remember to charge the card again, without it doing more than nag me about it occasionally.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I would also like to know the answer to this as I'm going to be spending some time abroad this year. Put it this way; it's certainly made be put the wallet back in the pocket for the time being in terms of splashing out on the cc module.

8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I think you are way out of line here. I regularly spend weeks with no internet connection and still have absolutely no problem with PS.

If you (like 99% of subscribers) pay for a one year deal, you only need to have access to the internet for download and validation of PS followed by a validation of the license every 100 days (3 months). Month to month subscribers need a 30 day validation. Even if you dont meet the validation the software will still work for 15 days. Clearly if you dont have access to the internet for over 3 months you have a problem but 3 months is a hell of a long time. I just spent 5 days without electricity in Madagascar with 2 Sony A7 and that is probably a far bigger problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Imagine paying for a program AND expecting it to work whenever you want without having to be tethered to the internet...

WAAAAAAAAAAY out of line... :coco:

10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Why do you think its the last stand alone? When they released the subscription model, they said LR would remain stand alone. Have they said something different since?

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I pay a year at a time and it was working for about half a week after the start of the month had rolled over before I gained access to 'internet', it couldn't actually update and contact the Adobe servers so it locked down all the software. It came up with a prompt stating that it could not contact adobe servers to check my license, please check your connection and try again.

I have absolutely no clue how their locking system works or doesn't work - just that it locked me out for several days. It didn't start working again til I was back in a large hotel in the capital with better internet and it was able to update the Adobe CC main program.

12. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    It is a regular desktop application. It needs internet to activate, and it does "phone home" to check your subscription status periodically. I don't know how often. But it will work without an internet connection.

I can't verify that this is still true with Lightroom CC, but with lightroom 5 from a CC subscription, if our subscirption ends, many features of Lightroom are still available to you on computers it was active on, but the develop module is disabled. (https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjo...ns-to-lightroom-after-my-membership-ends.html)

13. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    thanksadobe2.

I think in future I'm going to install and keep CS6 on all machines just in case something like this happens again so I have something to fall back on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If going CC, pay for yearly plan...not the monthly. That way you don't have to be on the net every month to verify the license. Also if Adobe does change the monthly rate you are locked in for the rest of your year.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    If it goes cloud, I will run the last desktop version for as long as I can and then switch to another desktop app. I am not going to put myself into indefinite bondage, having to maintain a subscription at whatever rates they choose to charge just so I can access my own property.

I don't think very many people are thinking through the long-term consequences of signing up for these subscription apps.

16. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Never mind the cloud being indefinite bondage, the desktop LR is also indefinite bondage. Once you've spent a huge investment in time doing all the tagging and editing, how do you ever transition to other software without losing all your work? I have thought about it and I don't see a way out.

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Agreed, but the difference is that with desktop LR you don't have to keep paying. The game is only over when you buy a camera that needs RAW processing that only the cloud app can provide. Then you're screwed and it's time to find another vendor. My hope is that someone recognizes the market opportunity and starts selling a desktop Lightroom work-alike.

18. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Can Lightroom write jpegs with IPTC tags?
    If so, apps like XnView could be substituted.

Barry

19. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I don't know. My question is genuine though -- is there a way?