1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LR not recognizing panasonic raw files

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Taurahe, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    Did a product shoot on sunday, and when I uploaded to light room, LR would not recognize the Panasonic raw files. I am using adobe CC so I updated lightroom and still no luck. I had to reshoot the entire thing with my nikon gear because i needed to get the photos out as a favor to my client.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on ? I am using the Panasonic G7 , firmware is updated.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

3. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon

exactly why i am asking.... I did import through lightroom.

4. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Adobe stopped supporting Panasonic RAW right when G7 was introduced. This applies to CS 6 and LR 6. They want us to subscribe monthly to the cloud version. Ive stopped shooting RAW on G7 but continue on GH2.

5. tkbslc

Photoshop CS6 supports up to ACR 9.1.1, but has moved subscription only going forward. Lightroom 6 is still fully current and supports the very latest ACR version.

Photoshop CS6 and ACR 9.1.1 should still support the G7 and GX8.

6. tkbslc

What are you seeing in Lightroom? No files, corrupted files or what?

7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Its been so long I don't recall. I think the file named appeared in gray rather than black and wouldn't launch. What I found on the web indicated support had ended for the "6" products. Next time I'll shoot RAW and see if things have changed.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Should I be worried if I invest in a GX85 that LR 6 won't update to support the RW2 files?

9. tkbslc

You would need to download the latest ACR update for it to work. If your program hasn't prompted you to update, you can manually download here: Camera Raw installer for Adobe Photoshop CC and CS6

10. tkbslc

No, they add support for new cameras through updates until the software is discontinued. They haven't announced LR7 or that Lightroom is going CC only, so until that happens I would not worry. They just released a new update (v6.5) last month to add support to the ZS100, GF8, and Pen F), which were recently launched.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    I am subscribed to Adobe CC and have been for some time now.

12. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    when I imported it gave a me a gray box and said " Lightroom cannot provide a preview of this image file", or something to that effect. The odd thing is, I was shooting raw+ jpeg and it would not display them either

13. tkbslc

Could be corrupted previews? Do you have any other programs that you could try to view the files with to see if they are OK outside of LR?

I'd email support at Adobe, they might have some ideas. It should work and you are paying a subscription so I would get them to help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Malcolm Schweizer

Malcolm Schweizer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
    Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I am having the same problems. I just signed up for the Adobe Creative Cloud last week and downloaded Lightroom. It says I have version 5.7.1. Lightroom help says to view RW2 files from Panasonic I need Lightroom 6.-.- (six something- can't remember exactly.) When I try to update LR it says I already have the latest version. ??? If I'm paying for the creative cloud full suite of software, don't I get 6 if that's the latest?

15. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    Yes, you need to install LR CC. You can't update from within the standalone version.

If you already did install lightroom CC it installs beside your old version so make sure you are clicking on the correct icon.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    LR standalone will continue to be updated, at least through LR6. I haven't heard one way or another past that.

Not sure how it works on a MAC if you have one. But on a PC you can have multiple versions installed on the same machine. So you might have more than one version and your shortcut/link might still be launching the older version. I believe LR 5.7.1 was the last released version of LR 5.

17. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    I'm running LR 5.7.1 and Camera raw 8.7.1 no problems opening rw2 files on laptop. I subscribed to CC and it's loaded on my desk top and no problems opening files there either. Need to add a copy to laptop but I don't process on laptop much.

18. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    Do you guys have the same camera? The version required is camera specific.

19. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Desktop copy allows for for installation on a desktop and laptop. Does CC?