1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lr Classic 7.2 released

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Feb 13, 2018.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Ps, and Acr were also updated. Besides new camera support and bug fixes, the release is about performance increases.

Note that 12GB of memory is getting to be the recommended min amount. I suspect that most Lr users use at least 16GB if they have a machine that can load that much.

What’s New in Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 (February 2018)?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Are the performance improvements noticeable? More Adobe over-promising or is it real this time?

3. Orbmiser

Orbmiser Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2017
    Portland,Or.
    Pass as still on my 2010 self-build Amd dual-core with 4gb of ram and dual monitors.

4508975777_a36d84531d_m. . 4509614452_bec9b2a53f_m.

6251656843_3cc62e5c71_n.

Still running Win7 and Lightroom 3.6 but intend to upgrade system this year.
    Tho will be to last stand-alone Lightroom. Think that is something like 6.3?
    As refuse to do the cloud subscription type apps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Read comments from folks who have been testing the improvements over time: Performance improvements on Classic 7.2

5. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Just get Affinity photo.

6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If it ever has a DAM and can do 100% non-destructive edits. Today no DAM and when you leave the Raw Persona to go to Photos Persona....it renders the image. You can not go back to Raw and redo your raw editing like you can when you send a raw image in Lr to Ps as a Smart Object.

7. Orbmiser

Orbmiser Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2017
    Portland,Or.
    ??? Saw it is a great program for tablet like iPad Pro but lacking in desktop?
    Naw as just need to update my system anyways.
    And quite happy using Lightroom 4,5,6 whichever supports Olympus Raw files.
    As stuck shooting jpg for now in Lightroom 3.6.
    And wanting full DAM support and complete non-destructive raw support.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Feels snappier with the upgrade.

No offense -- but any chance we could leave this thread for folks to talk about the results of the upgrade, rather than (deservedly) bashing Adobe and talking about alternatives? There's lots of other threads to talk about non-LR alts.

Any rate, no issues updating, and the initial navigation is going well. I'm on a quad core MBP with 16GB RAM

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    $50 for desktop

10. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    No one is bashing Lr, in fact I have it on my 5k iMac and my new iPad Pro.

Btw, my iPad Pro just did the update automatically. I frequent another photo forum and after the update that site was a little choppy. Normally it is the smoothest forum I visit. I was uploading a few photos and when want to add some info, the site froze.

11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You might want to buy Lightroom 6 sooner than later. Adobe is making it very hard to find on their web site and many retailers are only selling the subscription.

Adobe Checkout

• Appreciate Appreciate x 3
  12. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    So is there any way to buy a perpetual license for 7.2?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don’t think so

That is no longer adobes business model

15. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Yeah I was hoping that there was a way through edu or volume licensing but I think they have even pushed those out to subscriptions. :-(

16. Leroy Moore

Leroy Moore Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2017
    Upgrade was seamless. As I have huge libraries I appreciate the search bar for names in folders. And the added filter criteria for edited vs nonedited files is helpful. Very pleased with the update on my iMac.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Standalone perpetual license for Lr died with 6.x when 7.0 Classic was introduced. In the coming years when Classic and CC have feature parity, Classic will likely meet the same fate. Adobe has the same vision as Apple....they both want us tied to their cloud implementations.

18. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Any large, commercial software company with investors need to show those investors (public or private, e.g. VC or Private Equity -- someone with an out-game) a continuous revenue stream via subscriptions.

edit -- the reason for this is absolutely to get a fully cloud solution. To support individual implementations on a wide variety of OSes and a wide variety of hardware is a nightmare for companies. People call you all the time with issues they blame on your software, but which you have to spend a ton of time to determine whether it's your software, or their operating environment. A web-based subscription service = predictable, known revenue against a more controlled and predictable cost of support. It's not just a money grab. But now private and VC investors measure everyone's business against the best of cloud products. To maintain their EPS multiples for valuation, companies have to show progress towards this vision.

One other note on cloud -- if, as a vendor, you use e.g. AWS or Azure, and they have a service interruption, then it's like the electric company. Everyone's power (or application service) goes out, and you (as the services/software provider) can blame someone else :p 

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Sad Sad x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.