LR and your non-mu-43 cameras

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dancebert, Mar 3, 2016.

1. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    LR applies profile corrections automatically when it encounters mu-43 cameras and lenses. The 'Enable Profile Corrections' check box has no effect.

After a long lapse that started before I switched to LR, I recently began carrying my Canon S-95 P&S to record things better than I could with my crappy phone cam. Today I did more than a quick-n-dirty edit. While looking for the 'Remove Chromatic Aberration' check box I saw the 'Enable Profile Corrections' box was not checked. It didn't make much difference, but the box will remain checked. Is yours?
  2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    it doesn't matter whether the box is checked or not as long as the correction profile is absent for your camera/lens combo. I guess that with your P&S JPGs correction profile is not provided either built-in or from LR by Adobe. And from what I can tell most cameras outside DSLR territory today use embedded profile or none at all(P&S), the only occasion I can think of me using that option, is when handling m43 files shot with Sigma lenses, and probably with adapted 43 lenses too.
  3. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    There is no downside to leaving the box checked.

Adobe provided 17 profiles for various Canon PowerShot models, mine included, with my current LR installation. I figure that's why checking the box made a difference.
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a Canon S120 P&S, and I've developed an import profile within LR that applies the profile for the camera, along with a slight amount of noise reduction and sharpening to act as a starting point. It certainly makes a difference with the P&S cameras due to the optical compromises of the lens.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I always use lens profiles when processing images from my old Canon DSLRs. It's surprising to see how much correction these "optically corrected" lenses actually require. Nice to have the option to turn it on/off however.