1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LR 6

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mcasan, Feb 19, 2015.

1. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It would be nice.

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Would love to see face recognition! I used to tag everyone in photos, but it just got too daunting (specifically for friends and family photos). Hopefully they won't be too far behind (and that it actually shows up).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

LOL! It has been my experience that the new feature you most fervently wish for in a software upgrade is the ONE THING they don't put in it! I have often wondered how is it that my wants and needs can be SO different from the abilities and plans of the software developers?

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If face recognition shows up, I'll be turning that off just like I did when I played with Aperture. It is of virtually zero use if you shoot mostly wildlife and landscapes with a few odd still life thrown in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    An Adobe blog post said that LR6 would not run on 32bit Windows 7 and (IIRC) on 32bit Mac systems. Since my wife uses LR occasionally on her 32bit Win 7 laptop, they have lost me as a customer. I'm not going to buy a new computer just because Adobe is too lazy to keep compatibility with a widely-used OS.

6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Adobe abandoning 32 bit architecture simply means that they have done their business case for this decision and know where to maximize the ROI.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I don't think it's being lazy, it's a matter of where to put programmer time in relation to number of users served by that feature. Even the cheapest of new laptops have had 64 bit for a while now and they have to give up sometime. I saw someone upset because a program wouldn't work on Win98 the other day!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    You have obviously never been involved in product development. They don't "know" anything. They are guessing that dropping 32 bit compatibility will not cost them as much as it would have cost them to maintain it. Even after the dust settles they will not know whether it was a good decision or not; the vagaries of the marketplace are driven by too many things. Separating out just one of them is impossible.

The only thing that one can know is that there are users who will not upgrade because of this and who will feel less positively towards Adobe as a result. In a way that is probably a good thing, as there are also PS users who refuse to let Adobe extract a dollop of blood from them every month just to be able to occasionally use the software. Hopefully, people developing products to compete with Adobe will be encouraged by this abandonment of users and we will see improved and competitive products in the marketplace. The demise of monopoly and near-monopoly vendors often begins with their becoming high-handed and contemptuous of their customers.

9. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I understand your frustration, but how long should Adobe support a protocol that isn't being manufactured?

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Possibly for as long as the OS vendor supports it. We are not talking about developing something here, we are talking about maintaining a capability that the product has had. Unless that layer of the product was incompetently designed and coded, doing so should not be a costly thing.

11. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I guess as long as Adobe supports LR5 then they meet your "maintaining a capability" statement. The problem with the second part of your statement though is that it neglects the fact that new API and capabilities are provided to developers on 64-bit OSen that are just not doable on older architectures. On the Mac, 32-bit architectures haven't been supported since last year, dying with OS X 10.6; we're at 10.10 now, which can run on 64-bit machines made as far back as 2007.

Agreed, though, that this provides an opening for competition, especially on the WinOS side where 64-bitness isn't as widespread.

I'll also note as a one-time Adobe product beta tester that codebases over time do sometimes become bloated and unwieldy -- they've actually axed several community-beloved apps at architecture transition points, starting with my old favorite SoundEdit 16, which died when the codebase was determined too expensive and convoluted to port from PPC to Intel. To this day I haven't found a suitable replacement. Sigh.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  12. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

Well . . . even with Windows, only the most willfully stubborn are not on 64 bit architecture. Frankly, I don't worry too much about those people. They have made a choice to stay 6-8 years behind everyone else, I see no reason for MY computing abilities to be retarded so they can keep their buggy whips running.

I don't buy the poverty claims either. Photography is one of the most expensive hobbies around. if you can afford to upgrade your ancient software to a proposed 32 bit new version, or if you can maintain a reasonably competent camera system, you've got the money to buy a good, used 64 bit system. (which are abundant, where I live.)

Sorry, this hits my hot button.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    However you feel about it, it's probably better than what's happened to Aperture. Best case, Aperture users will need to learn to use another product.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    32 bit was so Windows 95. Hey that was 20 years ago!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    You can upgrade usually machines to 64-bit, I did this with our old Vista laptop and the licence code worked fine.
    You may also find there's a free upgrade to Windows 10 soon as MS are trying to move everyone off older windows versions.
    Bear in mind a backup's really important for this - it's basically a complete clean install...

Anyway, back to the OP, hope there's a non-subscription version of this, I got a free upgrade from 3 to 4 (bought just before 4 came out) and skipped 5.

• Agree Agree x 1