1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

LR 4.X question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Olyphotographer, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Olyphotographer

Olyphotographer Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Kuala Lumpur
    for those of you that use LR 4.1 or 4.2 when you shoot photos in RAW with the OM-D or any other PEN, in format other than 4:3 Olympus places a "crop rectangle" around the image. I often times shoot in 16:9, but sometimes like the 4:3 when I changed my mind during editing. Olympus edit SW lets you remove the rectangle and process then in 4:3 format. But LR 4.2 just gives the per-defined 16:9 or 3:2 format even though the original 4:3 info is there. Does LR ignore it? I have not found a way to just get LR use the original 4:3 format when it was shot in 16:9. Hope it makes sense what I'm asking. Thanks for any advice.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, Lightroom won't let you 'undo' the crop. It appears that may change, but for now you're out of luck.

3. Olyphotographer

Oct 18, 2012
    Kuala Lumpur
    ok, thanks. I was afraid so. I had played with all crop options and wasn't successful. How do you do it then? Go to Olympus's editor and save as a Tif file? Because once you taken the "crop" out with Olympus editing SW you cant "resave" the ORF file without that crop somehow.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    If you are using RAW, aren't you better off just using the native aspect ratio of the sensor and cropping later in any event?

6. Olyphotographer

Oct 18, 2012
    Kuala Lumpur
    I guess thats what I should be doing from now on, b/c in LR I can select a 16:9 format later.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I prefer toset what I want in camera. It's only occasionally I need to go to the uncropped version. And I import everything as a ding anyway so it's easy to "uncrop" one here or there.

Gordon

8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Thanks a lot for this. I also saw a plugin there to correct for colour casts which could be necessary to use the BIG 15mm shift lens announced this year. :2thumbs: