LR 4.2 - Local Defringe Brush

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by marklikesit, Oct 22, 2012.

1. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Hey all you LR users :)

Just a quick question here. Anyone played with the defringe brush much? What are your thoughts on it?

Been playing with it last night and initially, I thought it was for CA removal but it doesn't seem to do anything for CA. Rather, it sorta desaturates the edges of whatever you paint over.

Mark

2. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Yep!

I've been resistant to giving Adobe yet more cash, having just shelled out (last year) for CS5.x. But now with the OMD-EM5 and it's "only-somewhat-compatible" tendency to produce lots of purple & blue fringing with my Panasonic lenses, I've just downloaded LR 4.2 to try it's de-fringing & CA removal capabities.

My opinion - spectacular. I had just spent almost an hour airbrushing out the color fringing on a particular shot the day before, and LR was able to remove it in a few seconds. I assume here you're referring to the eyedropper tool - is there also a brush?

You mention CA - the CA removal checkbox in LR4 also seems to work well, perhaps better than its' counterpart in Camera Raw 6.7.

Brian

3. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Yeah ther'es a brush. Local brush adjustments (right up the top). In the options panel (after you select the brush), you get a defringe slider.

4. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    This is helpful coz with a lot of my Panasonic lenses and the OMD, the fringing gets so bad that even the normal CA slider can't remove, without negatively affecting the rest of the image. This is where I was hoping the local brush could come in handy to just tweak certain parts of the image.

5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    See my response to your query in the other thread you raised this issue in.

It works, and it works very well in my experience.

The chromatic aberation tick box works on lateral chromatic aberration. Purple or green fringing is longitudinal chromatic aberration. The Defringe tool works on longitudinal chromatic aberration, it defringes, and it doesn't do anything for lateral chromatic aberration just as the lateral chromatic aberration tool doesn't do anything for longitudinal chromatic aberration. They're different aberrations with different effects. Use the right tool and it works, use the wrong tool and it doesn't.

If there are colours elsewhere in the image the same hue as the fringing from longitudinal chromatic aberration, the defringing tool will have an effect on those colours as well. If that's the case with a particular image you could try either brushing defringe in, or brushing the defringe tool action out with a minus adjustment of the defringe adjustment brush, whichever is the easier.

• Like Like x 1