Lr 3.5 Noob

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by UkrainianOne, Sep 30, 2011.

1. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York

Ok, So, a while back ago (1-2 months), on one of my more out of focus and messed-up photos, someone suggested on this site that I should try Lightroom 3 as a beginning to PP. Well today after I gathered enough money from my past birthday ( Sept 26 ) I was able to get Adobe Lightroom 3.5. I found the interface very easy specially after watching countless hours of youtube videos of mac users tormenting me with thier one-clicks and shortcut keys lol.

It lets you manipulate lighting and effects which i found nice, what i didnt find nice is where the lens correction drop down menu didnt include Panasonic or Lumix Lenses/cameras. I have been honing my skills lately with Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3, which is awsome to use in conjunction with graphics tablet for touch ups on sharpness to certain parts of the image as well as other pin-point effects.

I havnt figured out how to use my tablet with Lr 3.5 but as soon as I do i will probably like it as much if not more than Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3. For someone like me who is just begining to use PP software lightroom 3.5 is a good way of stepping up from beginner software but can affect the overall purpose if over done or corrected.

So without further adue:

Shot with a G1, 35mm C-mount lens, the f-stop and all that good stuff i dont know / remmember lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. anidel

anidel Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Twickenham, Uk
    I'm not an expert at all, but I noticed that in the process, you've lost details on the top of the leaf (where the light hits).
    You had all of it in the uncured shot, but lost it later.

Was that intended?

In LR, Develop, Basic in the right hand panels, there's Recovery. Try with that, it should recover details in cases like this one.
  3. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    I tend to look at post processing as a way to enhance an image, to bring out it's full, unseen potential from the RAW exposure. Salvage work is for others, but it is good practice to try and find that diamond in the rough. My Recycle Bin is full to the brim after every outing.

I consider myself to be a PP idiot, so if I cocked it up in camera, I'll only go to a certain amount of effort to rescue an image. That's how I roll....... YMMV.
  4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Very cool! Love the effect of lots of light behind the petals on top.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Not a fan of the composition, the leaf on the right is too distracting.

I probably would've cropped it and maybe it B&W or something but what you did looks nice, just need to have that right petal on front!
  6. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Agree that the highlights of the leaf have been blown out in post-processing.

In the Lightroom Develop panel, at the top corners of the histogram are tabs that you can click on. That will show you in the image (in blues and reds) those areas that over- or underexposed.

While it's not necessary or even advisable to completely eliminate this clipping, it will show you those affected areas so that you can make a decision on whether to adjust for it.
  7. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York

Actually it was my intent to change the background lighting, after messing around with this picture through and through, I recall seeing alot of pp photos and they almost always have a different light effect done to them, so i figured why not and see if i can make it look like the sun light is coming in from above rather than from behind, hence the look of the top of the flower being over exposed, as far as the leaves, i added more hue contrast to the green becuase in the original i thought it may be lacking contrast :thumbup: