1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lower 12mm F2 price

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by GeneralTso, Feb 21, 2013.

1. GeneralTso

GeneralTso New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2013
    Hi,

I'm curious to know if Olympus will release a 12mm F1.8 lens similar to the build quality of the 45mm f1.8 lens?

$799 price tag (I missed the $100 rebate time frame) is quite a lot of money to ask for this particular lens (12mm f2). Although the build quality of the current f2 model is of metal and the fit and finish is superb compared to the 45mm f1.8 plastic shell, I would be greatly happy to settle for the build of the 45mm f1.8 if Olympus would make an 12mm f2 or f1.8 in the same build quality!

The premium added in order to obtain the 'black' version of this 12mm lens is just ludicrous.

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I really, really doubt it. There are many more gaps to fill in the lens lineup before duplicating existing focal lengths in a cheaper build quality.

If you want to save some money on it, I suggest simply buying used. The 12mm seems to go for $600-650 used and I even saw someone offering $550 in the classifieds the other day.

3. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I can't imagine they'd sell a cheaper one that was also f.2 faster (or however you correctly notate that)--it would undercut their high end way too much. It's my favorite lens, buy it used and sell it if you don't love it. (Note: If you do buy it used, make sure you see image samples as apparently some have issues with decentering.)