1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW for my OM-D?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JStheoriginal, Apr 10, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Anyone use this bag for their OM-D setup? Is it too big? I am really struggling to figure out what to use for my OM-D to carry it and its lenses/accessories around with me. I've read all the bag threads and still don't know.

The SlingShot 102 AW seems like one of the best slings around for the price, but I'm just not sure if it's still too large and weather the lenses will just bounce around inside.

Other than a sling, the only other option seems to be a messenger bag, but I feel it would be even less organized and structured.

http://store.lowepro.com/slingshot-102-aw

[​IMG]

Any opinions on this setup or a better one for under $100 would be appreciated. :)

2. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Well I have it and it houses all my mft gear very nicely.
    However I feel it's too big to carry unless you need space for sandwiches etc. I've only carried it out on a couple of occasions preferring smaller bags for camera plus two or three lenses.
    M

3. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    What other smaller bags do you find work better?

4. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I use an older model of the Slingshot for my E-pl1 with two lenses and filters, extra battery, lens cleaner and other accessories. It suits me just fine. I like that I can just swivel it around in front of me and open the bag and grab what I need. Before I got the E-pl1, I used it with my Canon T3 and two lenses, filters and such. I recomend this bag for general carrying around. For hiking though I would get at least a full Day Backpack.

I also like the fact that I also have a built in rain cover and micro fiber lens cleaner

5. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I mainly use a Cobra bag but it is very old now and not in production.

Also have the Lowepro ILC 100 which is ok for mft if your kit and lenses are the smaller ones.
    I can get Omd PL25 attached and another lens plus clip on flash... It's a bit tight though. I'm always looking for a better solution.
    M

6. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I found a larger like new used Lowepro SlingShot bag for a great price of just $50, but the problem is that the opening where you see the camera above causes me problems. The EM-5 is too small and if you are not careful it could fall out. I have 3 fl-600 flashes, and I keep them there to fill that space. It would be nice if the bag came with something that you could loop over and snap in front of that opening just in case you have small items there.

7. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    If you swing it around to the front of your body, the opening becomes "lid" like and opens up and away from you. I can reach in and grab my camera. If I need to switch lenses I can grab my other lens and put it on in the relative safety of the inside of the bag. The zippers prevent it from ripping all the way open and allowing the contents to spill...unless you forcefully yank it open

8. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I used to have the 200 version when I still had my Canon XSi and a couple of other lenses. Even then it was too big, resulting to me bringing too many gears that I ended up not using. And also, while in theory slingbacks are good, in actual use it didn't work well for me, I had to really tighten the straps so it doesn't go down too low (and make things feel heavier), problem was, tightening the straps too much prevents me from using its "sling" operation. Your miles may vary obviously and I have heard people that swear by sling bags so it might me worth a try.

I'm also in the market for backpacks (I'm done for messenger/shoulder bags for now) for an upcoming vacation so I'm monitoring this thread as well.

9. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    LowePro SlingShot AW 100

I have a 100 AW SlingShot and really like it. I have a Panasonic G2 which is probably similar in size to the Om-D. I mostly have a couple native lenses in the bag plus two or three legacy lenses, several filters, and a spare battery and charger. I sometimes attach a small tripod to the outside of the bag.
    I like how it can be accessed by sliding it around to the front without taking it off. A great bag.

P1010585_rszd.

P1010583_rszd.

P1010581_rszd.

10. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I've got one. It can carry 2 bodies, one with a smaller prime/ one with a zoom, 2+ other lenses( depending on size) and various filters cards chargers,etc. It is a good bag to keep your whole kit in. Well padded and reasonably comfortable. It can be maneuvered on your body to act like a table when changing lens. It also has an internal rain cover which can be pulled out when needed. That being said, I'm not sure I'd want to carry it around full all day. I think I paid $45 on Amazon.

11. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I think that my problem with the larger sling bag is that I carry two EM-5s with grips, seven lenses, three flashes and a lot of other items and I just have to figure out how to carry all of it and use the bag.

12. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    O_O

13. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Mr PhotoBob, expecting too much from that sling. Your gear requires a spacious and accessible bag.

14. Nordiquefan

Nordiquefan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I have a LowePro Event Messenger 150 that easily holds an OM-D, 12-50, 40-150, 14, 25 and 45 plus a tablet and accessories. It's my storage/grab everything and go bag. I have found a system that makes everything easily accessible. I used to use the Slingshot 202 for my DSLR gear but I find the shoulder bag is much easier to work out of. When walking to work or if I need more non-camera type items I have a Passport sling that works great, especially when my 4 year old and her necessities are in tow (great Disneyland bag). For hikes I use a Deuter Futura with a Crumpler Haven in the bottom half. Tripods sit well where the ice axe would normally go.

You should consider purchasing more than one bag and pick whichever suits your needs for any given day. If cost is a concern, I purchased both of my LowePro bags for $90CDN combined and they complement each other quite nicely.

15. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Thanks! Where in Canada did you find was cheapest??

16. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    I should add that the bag I have is the Tamrac Velocity 7x sling. It works but I find it lookalike I'm wearing a small turtle shell on my back...

This guy's pose is ridiculous btw lol:
    [​IMG]

17. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I finally figured out how to fit it all in, by placing two of my flashes in the top compartment an attaching one of my lenses to one of my bodies, it all fits in there great which surprises me. :dash2:

18. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Accessible means being able to pull any part you need without dealing with stacked parts. If the photographer includes cleaning supplies, filters, step-up rings and hoods, grip and what not, it leads to needing a spacious bag with compartments suited for micro 4/3.

19. Nordiquefan

Nordiquefan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I payed $30 on sale for the Passport sling and $50 on sale for the Event Messenger 150 before tax, both at Memory Express; cheapest I could find anywhere at the time (love that store).

20. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Thanks! We have one of those in Winnipeg I'll definitely check them out!