1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lowepro Lens Exchange 100AW?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Lcrunyon, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Is anyone using this pouch for m4/3? I've been considering it for when I only want to carry one extra lens plus the one on the camera. I just want to get an idea of how well it works with m4/3 lenses. I think it might even fit the 40-150mm Pro, just by looking at the dimensions. My nearest camera store that might carry it is over an hour away, so I thought I'd start with everyone here.

We would generally be talking any combination of two Oly Pro lenses, not the smaller sort of m4/3 lenses. Otherwise, if both lenses in question are small enough to pocket, I'd just do that. I have clothes with large enough pockets for, say, the PL 25mm f/1.4 or Oly 8mm fisheye.

Or, does anyone have any other options to suggest? I kind of like the idea of a belt pouch because it wouldn't interfere with the shoulder sling I usually use.

2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I was very interested in the 200AW model because I wanted something big enough to handle a 50-200 SWD. I ended deciding that although it was long enough, it wasn't wide enough to handle that lens. Hard to assess without being able to try it out. I've seen comments by users on various sites and the narrowness of the pocket was an issue for some, depending on the lens used. I think it's a great design, and it would be even better if they made it a little wider. Anyway, that's something to consider if you're looking at the 100AW.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    The 100AW is long enough for the 7-14, 12-40 or 35-100/2.8 with hoods mounted. It can hold the 50-200 with caps but not with MMF-3 or hood.

The 200AW is long enough for the 50-200 with MMF-3 and hood reversed, but it's just barely wide enough, so the hood will usually snag and extend the lens a bit when I pull it out. It won't fit with the collar mounted.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Thanks for that. Do you know whether the 100 would fit the 40-150 Pro?

5. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Hmmmm... I'm thinking that for m4/3, the narrowness might be ok.

6. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Sorry, I don't know.

7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    The Getolympus.com website says the 40-150 Pro is 3.1" in diameter and 6.29" long. Dunno if that diameter is with hood on or off. The LowePro site says the internal dimensions of the 100 are 4.3" by 6.9". Says it will fit a Canon or Nikon 24-70 f2.8.

Sounds like it should be enough, although maybe not with the TC-14 attached. The 50-200 with that champagne bucket of a hood would not fit comfortably even in the 200, because of the large diameter of the hood.

If you do get it, let us know how well it works. :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Yeah, it's the lens foot that bothers me. For it to fit I think it would have to be angled in a corner. I could take it off, but would prefer to leave it on. Not a big deal, either way...

I think I will order it. It's not that expensive and it should be useful. I'll let you all know how it works out.

9. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I like mine quite a lot, though I use it with my Nikon FX gear, not my little GM1 kit. I can tell you it fits quite nicely with the Nikon 28/1.8G and 85/1.8G, and the Sigma 150/2.8 (non-OS) just barely fits nicely. You could compare lens dimensions at B&H with any of those to help you get an idea.

I also used to have the 200AW, and that would fit a Nikon 70-200/2.8. I have never owned any m4/3 'large' lenses, but I imagine only a few would require stepping up to the 200AW.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I've used the S&F Slim Lens Pouch 55 AW including the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5. The lens fits in with the hood reversed, just slightly to long with the convertor. So the 40-150mm Pro would fit, but with the 1.4X convertor it would be the same as the 50-200mm. It's overkill for other m4/3s lens, but does work.

11. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Thanks, Clint. The 100 is about half an inch longer than the 55, so I'll just have to try it and see if the teleconverter will fit.

12. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I got the pouch today. Haven't had the chance to use it in the field, but tested the lens fit. I have to say it's a decent compromise size in terms of swapping Pro lenses.

• The 12-40 f/2.8 (and I assume the 7-14) fits nicely width-wise (not snug) but has lots of clearance on top. I think the 75-300 and 100-300 telephoto zooms would also fit really well.
    • The 40-150 f/2.8 actually fits, even with the lens hood and tripod foot, but barely. It's snug in both width and height. I can zip it up, but not snap it. The TC would definitely not fit. I don't know what that would mean for the 300 or the 100-400.
    • The 60mm macro or 8mm fisheye have lots of room. I might be able to fit them both in - one in each pocket. I'll check when I get home (where my macro lens is) on Monday.
    • The pouch would be overkill for small primes, unless you found some way to bundle them (like glueing the back caps together).
    So, the size works decently. I think that a true m4/3 version would be smaller, with a different one (just slightly larger than this one) for the 40-150 and 300mm Pro lenses, but this does fulfill my expectations. It would have to fit my largest lens and it does, while trying to stay small enough to cradle smaller lenses.

I think Lowepro designs are often pretty innovative and functional, and although they are a step below Thinktank's level of durability and quality, that build quality is good enough for no complaints. I like the accordion design, as I think it will make swapping lenses a lot more convenient, and it's very minimalist. There are also side pockets to keep lens caps or batteries.

13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Found a previous post that linked to a review of the 100AW. https://www.mu-43.com/threads/35701/

The dilemma with changing lenses is that you need a place to put the lens you're taking off, as well as a place for the lens you're going to put on. If I'm not carrying a bag, I have to resort to stuffing one lens in a pocket or under my arm, or something else just as precarious. These lens exchange cases are great for this.

Case Logic has two lens exchange cases, but I'm a little leery of their design. Dunno how secure they would be hanging from a strap or waist belt. Worried about the second lens falling out of the pocket. https://www.caselogic.com/en-us/us/...ephoto-lens-exchange-case-_-dsl_-_102_-_black

If it weren't for the width issue for the 50-200 SWD (it's a fat lens with the hood reversed and the tripod foot), I might have bought the 200AW. But, enough people pointed that out as an issue so I passed on it.

I ended up getting a humongous holster case, the Manfrotto Pro Holster Plus 40. It holds the EM1 and the 50-200 mounted, as well as a couple of other lenses. I even managed to squeeze in an EM5 with the 17mm f1.8 mounted next to it. (it has movable dividers) I got it on clearance for $20, so it was a steal. It works, but it sure is bulky. :)

14. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Update: It's pretty nifty for use. Having the extra open pocket makes swapping lenses on the move a much easier task.

I was successfully able to fit the 8mm fisheye and the PL 25 mm f/1.4 together, one in each pocket, at the same time. I lose the open pocket for swapping, but it is an option for lenses that size or smaller. This wouldn't work with the 12-40 or larger.