1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lowepro Inverse or other waist bag?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by nandystam, May 6, 2012.

1. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    My ongoing search for a nice little u4/3 pack continues..

I know there are plenty of shoulder bags that would do the job, but unfortunately I have a few muscular issues in the neck and shoulder so I'd rather not have a strap hanging off either shoulder, which is where the bum bags come into it.

The Lowepro Inverse bags look good, but which one is preferable? The 100 or 200?

What I have to put in there:

- E-P3
    - 9-18, 20, 14-42, 40-150 (all u4/3)
    - Couple of memory cards, filters, adapter gins, hoods, and batteries

My only issue with the Inverse bags (I've yet to see one in person), is that they look quite bulky for a bum bag? Can you have the bag on the side (hip) most of the time, rather than on the front or back?

The other alternative I've seen is the Think Tank Pro Belt with the Hubba Hubba Hiney (great name!) or Speed Changer. It's a little more pricey but obviously has more flexibility down the track..

All thoughts appreciated!

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    I had the lowepro inverse before for my dslr. I ended up selling it as i upgraded to a bigger body with grip(canon 7D). When I did use it before plentyful of times it was my go to bag for day trips weekends and even holidays. After selling my inverse 100 i was thinking replace it with the 200 but i didnt because then it would be way to big. I opted to carry the 7D on my shoulder and a primes in the wife's purse...lol

Now as for m43... The inverse 100 will let you hold all that you have in your kit. The cons to the bag for m43 is that the bag never molds to your hip. The padding and structure of the bag stays the same wether its full or empty.

The bag could be worn with the waist strap and also the shoulder strap at the same time so that could also be an option. I used it alot like that so the weight wasnt on my shoulders. I could say it reliefed at least half the weight of my shoulders. On two trips to new york i lugged my dslr(canon xsi gripped with 2 lenses and memory cards and a bottle of water on the outside) over 12 hours each day i was there. It was much easier than having just a messenger because of the added waist strap.

It is a bulky "bum" bag. But i was more interested in its functionality than looks. Try to have a look at one at a local shop and bring your kit and see if it works for you.

Oh by the way I will never carry my dslr to NY again. I just havent gone back since i bought into this great M43 system. :wink:

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Printfolio

Printfolio Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    Kortrijk, Belgium
    Steven
    I just bought it to carry all my Olympus OM-D gear (body+kit lens and three primes + accessories). I'm planning to take it along on a off road motorcycle trip to Morocco in October. I have used a Lowe Pro bum bag before with my Contax G2. I find it super comfortable to use, also as a normal carry bag, thanks to the shoulder strap.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for the replies.

If you have it at the front, is it easy enough to walk around with? I get the feeling it might get in the way but I could be wrong? :)

I will have to try one out in person.

5. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    FWIW, i use my inverse 100 for long photo trips that i dont want to use a backpack (but carrying too much gear to use a sling) i can push in 3 bodies (e-pl2, e-p1, gf2) with 14mm, oly 14-42, panny 14-42, 40-150mm, 2 adapters and 2 medium-large sized legacy glass... how do i do it? dunno, no idea, i just stick it in and hope it closes well.

its okay worn in front (i have a friend who uses film stuff and he carry his inverse 100 in front all the time, the only thing thats bothering me is that at east you have to wear the shoulder strap when you place it in front so that it wont move around so much and extra comfort.

worn as a fanny pack, it sags a little, you have to constantly adjust the straps (or maybe either im too fat or i just dont know how to use it properly)

if youre open to other brands, mountain smith has one that has great reviews as well, and my personal favorite, the think tank speed demon or speed freak... maximum comfort and has the best usability in all of the fanny packs ive tried

hope this helps

6. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I've been meaning to take pictures and post in the bags thread, but haven't gotten around to it. I adapted a Kelty lumbar pack (the Jaunt) as my m43 bag. I got a sheet of foam on ebay and some Kata cut-to-size dividers from B&H, and I'm good to go.

It holds my G3 and lenses (Panny 14, 14-45, 45-200, 100-300), lens hoods for all, batteries and charger, memory cards, and a few other odds and ends, with room to spare. I've only worn it as a lumbar pack, and I don't notice the weight, even when I throw a couple of water bottles in the outside slots.

7. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    OK so I got to see a Lowepro Inverse 100 in the flesh.

I must say, it's like a shoebox with a belt attached to it! It'll certainly take all the gear and more, but it isn't what I had in mind. I was hoping for something a bit slimmer!

I did notice Lowepro's S&F system, and the Utility 100 bag which seemed like a pretty good fit. It might not take all the lenses, but it had the slimness I was looking for.

I have also seen Think Tank's system, with the Hubba Hubba Hiney (nice name!) and Speed Changer. These look like better options.

I imagine you don't need their fancy belt? Just a regular belt will do given the light weight of the equipment?

The Domke F-5XB is a nice, albeit expensive bag, but I haven't seen how it can be used with a belt. Everyone seems to use it as a shoulder bag? If anyone can shed light on this that would be good. I could probably handle using both the belt and should strap simultaneously.

Shoulder bags really seem to be the go for micro 4/3.. wish I didn't have such a bung upper body!

Thanks!

8. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'd be interested to see pics of this - they probably don't exist in Aus but I'm sure something similar does!

9. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    It definitely doesn't look like a shoebox on a belt. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them for you.

Edit to add: search Amazon Aust. for Kelty Jaunt. Amazon US has them for only $22.

10. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    ThinkTank has the Speed Racer, Speed Demon, and one other in the Speed Something line that have a very good waist band and also a shoulder strap, great but not cheap. I had the medium sized one and still have a clip on lens pouch.

I had one of the smaller Domke bags (FX5A, I think, at the time, on special from B&H) and you can buy a waistband for at least that one, and it looks like the others, too.

Right now, I'm using a lumbar pack (Eastern Mountain Sports) when I go out. Not as convenient as the ThinkTank, but doesn't scream "Camera inside."

The Domkes are flatter than the ThinkTank Speed variants, but the ThinkTank Speed line is better laid out for working out of.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew

i loved my think tank speed demon... excellent waist strap and although it's not the most discreet bag, it is very useful working around with.