Low-rent foxes

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ
Spouse and I are fortunate enough to have an RV at a park right on the south shore of Lake Erie. It’s is an amazing place in many respects, but it is still a...trailer park. We opened it up this weekend and were surprised to see that some vixen had moved in next door. Typical trailer trash, five kids running around and no dad to be seen :)

Here she is...

1_20200501lakewood0137xxx.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Some pix with the little ones. At least they are quiet.

2_20200501lakewood0149xxx-1.jpg

kisses for Mom

3_20200501lakewood0152xxx.jpg

I think he wants something

4_20200501lakewood0186xxx.jpg

Dinner time?

5_20200501lakewood0213xxx-2.jpg

You try putting up with five brats!

6_20200501lakewood0127xxx.jpg

All EM1x and 300 f/4. Some with 1.4tc.

Thanks for looking,

Russ

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
WoW man, the pictures are awesome and the little ones are so adorable I could kidnap one for myself :p
These are the kind of foxes I saw in Kent UK, they literally don't give a *blip* about humans, they just want food. At least it makes them a lot more accessible. Here in Somerset UK they are not as human friendly, they look for food outside of town, closer to villages and farms and do not stay long for pictures. But a mom with pops I have yet to see, I would love too. That 720mm does give both you and the foxes room for comfort, not sure I could get as much with 400mm Equiv. 35mm limit I have.

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ
Thanks very much for the kind words. It's nice to have the opportunity to see this sort of thing close up. And the EM1x did not miss a single shot.

We are in a pretty rural area and the campground is basically unoccupied until early May, so that gives the babies a bit of time to grow before the humans start to show up. Once the campground starts to fill up mom and the kits all skedaddle and you only catch glimpses of them for the rest of the year.

The foxes have been using the den under the neighbor's porch for several years now. My wife and I love it, the neighbor not so much.

They fit right in the ecosystem here and there is a ton of prey for them nearby (a coastal marsh is just to the left out of the photo), so they will do fine. Or at least as fine as foxes generally do.

Thanks again,

Russ

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Thanks very much for the kind words. It's nice to have the opportunity to see this sort of thing close up. And the EM1x did not miss a single shot.

We are in a pretty rural area and the campground is basically unoccupied until early May, so that gives the babies a bit of time to grow before the humans start to show up. Once the campground starts to fill up mom and the kits all skedaddle and you only catch glimpses of them for the rest of the year.

The foxes have been using the den under the neighbor's porch for several years now. My wife and I love it, the neighbor not so much.

They fit right in the ecosystem here and there is a ton of prey for them nearby (a coastal marsh is just to the left out of the photo), so they will do fine. Or at least as fine as foxes generally do.

Thanks again,

Russ

It's nice to see some people still appreciate the wildlife from high to the low tolerance of interaction to human/society benefits. (Often foxes are called vermin in the UK and hunt them with prejudice).
I think all my luck in life is being poured into photography (probably someone is messing with my Luck Stats like those on RPG Characters):
(PS. Sorry for resharing the same images of another Forum Post)

When I came to work this evening I woke up late (had problems sleeping) and as I was passing the field that I usually do to chance upon wildlife I came across 4 little 2 to 3 weeks old fox pups and I was amazed of my luck (it's been what? 1 day since I said I wish I had the luck to come across fox pups).
I had only 15 minutes to stay and make pictures because I had to be at work at 20:30 when my night shift starts and I needed 3-4 minutes to get into the building and 5 minutes to change for work. So I had to rush my approach a bit and it was made even more difficult by the half a meter tall grass that was between me and them. I tried my best not to scare them off or grab their attention (my approach to wildlife is I want to get images that show them minding their own business, being wildlife and natural and not stare at me or my camera). Normally if I had 30 minutes to one hour of time to do this I would get on the ground and crawl very slowly, carefully, and deliberately for a more intimate and natural perspective.
Anyways, enough rambling, picture sharing time (sorry for the 1.000 pix limit resize, I'm on mobile connection and uploading full JPEG is a chore on the country-side):

W0LF6686.jpg

There were 4 bundles of joys coming in and out of the tall grass, mostly hiding under a very tall (and typical English countryside) hedge on the left side.

W0LF6791.jpg

Because of the low light (the sun was getting low and the hedge blocked all direct sunlight) and the jumping in and hour of the grass, the E-M1 Mark III had a tough time keeping the C-AF on point on the pups even though the contrast between the grass and the fur was quite decent most of the time. I was using the smallest AF point because of the small size of the pups.

W0LF6802.jpg

I was noticed a few times while trying to keep a low profile, Electronic Shutter was used of course .... my knees probably squeaked louder than the camera :p

W0LF6805.jpg

I chose to sacrifice IQ to keep the shutter speed at 1/350 second because they were all over the place and rarely stood in once place for more than a couple of seconds. I found that 200mm end of Panasonic Leica 50-200mm was sufficient since I could get as close as 2-3 meters away.

W0LF6885.jpg

Getting all 4 of them in the frame was really hard since they were constantly playing and jumping on each other and darting inside the hedge. Never managed to get all 4 of their faces at the same time.

W0LF6898.jpg

The one on the left seems to be the runt of the litter, smaller body size, smaller ears, and grayer then orange in color. While unluckily (and that depresses me a little) I do hope that all 4 will reach maturity and will be strong and healthy. The advantage they have this year is significantly less road traffic and pollution (especially discarded plastic). Hopefully, this means a great year for wildlife everywhere to recover a little from human expansion.

W0LF6906.jpg

The last image had quite a goodbye feeling. I tried to make a 4K video of them playing but managed only 28 seconds before they darted off and I was running out of time at 20:17. I hope they will still be in the area this morning when I get out of work though I doubt it, they probably snitched me to their mom and packed their bags and left :p

Hopefully, there will be more lucky encounters like this one this summer.

Ruairi

Mu-43 Regular
Lovely pictures.

@L0n3Gr3yW0lf they don't stay very still do they. Even with a calm adult fox, I get way more sharp shots at 1/320 compared to 1/250. For low light, have you tried the larger single point focus box when the small box struggles?

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Lovely pictures.

@L0n3Gr3yW0lf they don't stay very still do they. Even with a calm adult fox, I get way more sharp shots at 1/320 compared to 1/250. For low light, have you tried the larger single point focus box when the small box struggles?
Some of them do stand still... Sometimes :), even managed to try HHHR when I notice they stand still for more then 3 seconds, they do enjoy the sunshine or are curious about the perv on the other side of the field :p
Depends on the situation, the CDAF box (the large one) is very useful and more precise but works best in very high contrast situations (which in direct sunlight I can be, Orange fox în front of green foliage). I use it in S-AF when I want maximim accuracy, usually for the HHHR. The smallest AF point is PDAF only so in very low light it can become finicky in getting the focus right, very low contrast will make it hunt more often and I found the accuracy to be a lot less then CDAF. When I use the smallest AF point I always shoot either at 7 or at 15 FPS to increase the chances of getting a sharp image. But unlike the bigger box the smaller one works better when you have interruptions between you and the subject: foliage.
Unlike Panasonic the lock-on AF point does not work as well on Olympus, I find it often it drifts on its own after 5-10 seconds. So I tend so shot smallest AF point in C-AF at 7 FPS when I need continuous live view for tracking (when I'm very close to the subject I need to see it real time to track it well) or I shot 15 FPS when there's enough room to guess where it might go or the action is a lot faster (like birds in flight or younglings playing).

Latest threads

Top Bottom