Low light without flash and pocketable setup: does this camera exist?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by labcoatguy, Apr 25, 2014.

1. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I've been using my E-M5 and Panasonic 20mm combination in many settings, most recently in low light conditions such as museums and nighttime time lapses where I can drop down to 1/3 second shutter speed and still get damn sharp pictures. Unfortunately this isn't the most pocketable of combinations, so I recently got a Ricoh GR to complement it, but that camera's lack of image stabilization and f/2.8 lens means it's no match in low light with no flash. Is there a single camera out there that combines the merits of the E-M5/Panny 20mm in a pocketable package, or is that (or the E-P5, but it's not that much smaller barring the E-M5's EVF) about as small as you can get? That new Olympus Stylus with the f/1.9 lens and 5-axis IBIS has too small a sensor to compete, otherwise it would be perfect. If only you could get that with a fast fixed lens and a :43:sensor.
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    You are near the edge of the envelope for what you want. I have the E-M5 and the GR. The E-M5 offers incredible IBIS for still subjects, and it is generally considered to be among the most effective IS systems available. The GR combines a great APS-C sensor in a small package with an incredible lens. You could probably push the GR a stop or two faster than the E-M5 with good results, but that is not a given. IMHO, it its going to be very difficult to find anything smaller, with the possible exception of the GM1, that is going to better your current two choices without you considering smaller sensors.

Good luck,

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Yeah, E-PM2, GF3 or GM1 would be my picks with the 20mm.
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sony RX100II would be my guess.

Then again, I don't consider even the smallest of micro 4/3rds to be "pocketable". The advantage of a compact P&S is how the lens retracts into the body.
  5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Yeah... Sony RX100 or RX100 II. After that, the Fuji XF1 or XQ1. You'd be surprised with what you can get out of the two tiny Fujis once you learn how to operate them. And, of course, the Ricoh GR, which is suprisingly pocketable. Auto-focus isn't the fastest in low light but the results are great with that APS-C sensor.

Virtually none of the micro four-thirds cameras are truly pocketable once you put a lens on them. But the GM1 or E-PM2 with the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 or 20mm f/1.7 are probably jacket pocketable. No shirts or pants need apply.
  6. Scottvest or type vest with its bigger pockets. Been there have/done that. Also room for iPad.
    Bonus = comfortable machine washable light vest.

In other words bigger convenient pockets in a vest not looking like a fisherman's/photographers vest.

I am old and tend to wander