1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

low light with the G2/G10

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by richiebee, Aug 6, 2010.

1. richiebee

richiebee Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    St. John's, NL, Canada
    I'm going to be doing concert photographs in available light, likely from a distance of around 50ft from the stage. The stage is generally pretty well lit, but I have to shoot from a balcony 50 ft from the stage. Here are some images I took with my Canon S5. Although they're perhaps a little bright, I don't think I could have gone under ISO 400. And the noise shows, and still there's lots of motion blurring. They were taken with a shutter speed of 1/8th sec., ISO 400, f3.5. I know I could have gone a little quicker, but I'm not sure I would have done any better with the motion blurring. Do you think I can expect much better images than this from a G2/G10 in the same circumstances probably using the 45-200mm lens (which I can get kind of cheap bundled with the camera)?

By the way, I'm not really looking for a critique of these images, though I guess if it helps to explain a fundamental thing I'm doing wrong, then I have no problem with you picking it apart. I will be up for critiques when I have a real camera and can really learn how to make the most of it. :smile: For now, these are just to illustrate the likely lighting conditions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    The ISO performance should be better with the G2/G10. One thing I'd point out though is, you probably should be spot metering or manually controlling the exposure in a difficult lighting situation like this. With the default metering method most cameras use (usually evaluating the entire scene to figure the exposure), it's going to look natural and the camera will want to bump up the ISO really high or set the shutter speed way too low. Spot metering on one of the brighter parts of the scene (a person standing in the spotlight for example), you'll end up with a more correct exposure.

For example, I used my Panasonic LX3 (point and shoot) in spot metering mode on this photo, metering off the flag.

[​IMG]

So anyway, I would say if you metered correctly and used the G2/G10, yes...you should end up with better photos in this situation you're asking about. That's my opinion :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

The G2/10 will have a much bigger sensor and hence less noise than the Canon but the 45-200mm lens is not fast particularly at full reach. At those shutter speeds a tripod may be better than relying on OIS. If you do a lot of this work a dslr may be better suited.