Low Light Wildlife Photography - M43 vs FF

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@mrjoemorgan Joe, that second shot is a beauty. I think you might have missed focus slightly on the first, rather than the ISO being a problem. Just a thought.

Glad your camera is back and (finally) working properly. That sort of thing bugs the hell out of me!
I did wonder if it was focus but I took a bunch (Like 40) and they were all the same, SAF on the eyes and re composed. Unless my focus was really off for that entire sequence 😂

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Shit happens, Joe.

I've gotten shots I shouldn't have, and occasionally missed shots where I had no possible reason to. I generally put my duds down to operator error, because I know that the gear works fine. If it didn't, I would have that sort of problem most or all of the time.

Since all my gear works fine most or all of the time, I reckon it's only fair to blame myself when it doesn't.

Maybe (in my own case) I'm just less meticulous with (particularly) 'easy' shots. Who knows?

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Shit happens, Joe.

I've gotten shots I shouldn't have, and occasionally missed shots where I had no possible reason to. I generally put my duds down to operator error, because I know that the gear works fine. If it didn't, I would have that sort of problem most or all of the time.

Since all my gear works fine most or all of the time, I reckon it's only fair to blame myself when it doesn't.

Maybe (in my own case) I'm just less meticulous with (particularly) 'easy' shots. Who knows?
Ah ha, user error of a different kind on my part, I uploaded and was comparing the wrong set of images :dash2:

ISO 2000 + 2500 actually not that bad!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I almost always use auto ISO and have my limit set to ISO 3200, but that is really higher than what I would typically accept. If I am close and filling the frame with my subject I have been satisfied with ISO's up to around 2000, maybe a little higher. I prefer to stay at 1600 or lower and honestly have not really had any issues staying below that. Honestly, if I have to go higher the images are mostly just for record shots. I say that because you need light to create contrast in your subject and when it is dark enough to force ISO's higher than say 2400 there is no light to really create a compelling image. The one exception to that is when shooting in inclement weather and then it is more about the dramatic image and noise will not really be a factor. I really don't get people wanting this super high ISO ability for wildlife photography, just wait a few minutes for some light to create contrast in the subject and much more compelling image. Even when I shot full frame I rarely went into higher ISO"s, my shooting really didn't change coming to Olympus.

I only use Lightroom for editing and noise reduction and sharpening. I will dip into Photoshop for a few things now and than or when I want to use NIK for my black and white images.
Thanks a lot for the information. Always great to learn from those who get results like you.

For clarification, do you print ISO 1600 as 1 metre (40") prints? (I read you have used 16MP sensor thus far, like me) Does it matter if canvas or something else?

Or do you adjust your maximum print size with different ISO's?

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
In other news, I have the Sony gear for the weekend now to do a side by side test/comparison to see which I prefer.

The difference in size/weight is quite something!

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Looks like what the sideline photographers are holding just before they get plowed over by a running back on a sideline play.
Actually there is the opposite lens that will do that.
A short zoom like the 12-100.
When you zoom to the short end, you get a distorted view of the world. Looking through the viewfinder most people do not realize just how close the football player is to them.
I did that a few times with my DX 18-140, then the voice in the back of my head told me that, I'm too old to be playing "dodge the player."
I now use a 70-200 on my DX camera or 40-150 on my EM1. At the point where the player gets close to filling the viewfinder, when on short zoom, I lower the camera and MOVE outa there.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Having just spent 7 hours walking around with both camera/lens combos on my arms, and the rest of my gear in my background, I share your sentiment. I need a new back... :drama:
This old man had to switch to a cart, to haul my gear from the car to the football field and back again.
After shooting for 5-6 hours, that walk back to the car, gets harder each year.

Having just spent 7 hours walking around with both camera/lens combos on my arms, and the rest of my gear in my background, I share your sentiment. I need a new back... :drama:
Get a helper.

6C533DAB-CA9F-48E4-BA86-63532E35BC28.jpeg

John King

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Joe, my sympathies.

I always thought it would be my three dodgy discs that would cause me grief.

They're still dodgy, but it's all the facet joints in my lumbar spine that are really giving me curry. Opiate based painkillers provide some relief (5x a day), but I cannot take any anti-inflammatories because I take Warfarin for an artificial heart valve, atrial fibrillation, etc.

Getting old ain't for sissies ...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom