Low-Light Video Shooting?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by timothysoong, Sep 25, 2012.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Well, im going on a camping trip this weekend and I am asked to shoot a video of several performances.

And it'd be really dark, and the only gears i have are as my signature says.

It'd be as dark as this video:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRsEXjqTHZM]Lucky Park Boxing Dance outdoor night - YouTube[/ame]

So can someone tell me what I can do, which lens to use or what to do? To make the video of better quality and not as dark.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    interesting challenge!!

a couple of things to consider

1) you are going to go manual on the exposure - shooting video at 30fps you want a shutter speed of 1/60th. You can go a little lower if it is really dark... but you don't need to go higher.

2) you have 2 fast lenses... depending on your position in relation to the performance, either will work for you.....you will probably shoot wide open

3) ISO is going to be your variable on the night. I would adjust this to get a good exposure on the best lit parts of the performance. Use spot metering

4) depending on how sophisticated you want the final video to be, it might be worth setting up the GF2 on a tripod with the 25 to get an over all continuous shot of the performance, and then roam around with the GH2 and the 45 getting close ups that you can later edit with the GF2 footage.

this was shot at ISO 3200 in a dimly lit bar with GH2 and oly 45. I recorded the audio seperately and did extensive editing using shots from other songs to make the final piece.... this was the first time I had shot video on the GH2 :)

hope this helps

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It's tricky but not unmanageable. You have fast lenses, be prepared to shoot at f2 or faster. Second, shoot 24p and set your shutter speed to 1/40. Third, you will need to drive the GH2 ISO quite hard; 5000 is workable, even ISO 10000 creates usable videos but maybe only in B&W. You will need to run noise removal on the video in post. This will be much easier if you have a high bitrate hack, aim for 60mbps or higher.

At f1.4, 1/40, and ISO 10000, you can expose for insanely dark scenes.
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

good point on shooting at 24fps...hadn't thought of it in that way... being euopean I then to think in terms of 25 v 24 where there isn't the same difference.