Low light shooting - Lumix G3 worth it?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by broody, Dec 14, 2013.

1. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I've been happy with the images I get from the GF3 and 14mm/45mm primes, but I find I shoot at ISO 1600 a lot and the pictures lose a lot of detail at that point. I suppose it's time to upgrade.

The possibility of buying a G3 at a very low price has come up. However that has no IBIS, and as I'm thinking of adding another prime to my kit, I wonder if I shouldn't just save up.

Then again, if it's good enough, I might not think of getting another body after the fact. So how is the G3 at high ISO? Does it suffer a lot compared to the GX7/OMDs?

One more question, if I understand correctly, the G3/GX1 sensor only offers shadow recovery similar to the old 12mp sensor in PP? Or is there any noticeable improvement?

2. stenlius

stenlius Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    Bulgaria
    I use both GX1 and E-M5, and have recently compared them at ISO3200 with the G6 and NEX6. So my opinion is that Nex6 is around 10-15% better than EM5. The OM-D is slightly better 5% than the GX1. And the GX1 is better than the G6 by another 5%. All of the above compared in RAW within the same lightning and objects. I think that the GX1 luminance grain is very fine and it's usable even at 6400 with some heavy NR & downsizing. The shadows recovery is definitely better than the E-PM1 I've owned before. You will likely be very happy with the upgrade from the GF3, if the G3 sensor is equivalent to GX1.

• Like Like x 2
  3. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    :) Thank you!! That is exactly the sort of detailed answer I was hoping for. From my research, GX1 IQ is on par with the G3 except for a better JPG engine. That's not an issue for me, as I shoot RAW. From your feedback I've decided to pick up this body, and aim the rest of my photo budget towards more glass.

4. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    ISO 1600 is probably the top end of the G3/G5/G6/GF6/GH2/GX1 generation. I wouldn't go beyond that for color photos. Newer post-EM5 models are good to ISO3200, as they don't suffer from color breaking down like with the earlier 16Mp sensors.

G3/GX1 have the exact same sensor and processing.
    G5/G6/GF6/GH2 similarly share sensors and processing. They're based on the G3 sensor, but moved the digital-analog converter onto the chip itself and are paired with a better processing system. In the real world, they perform pretty much identically under most conditions.