Low light shooting - Lumix G3 worth it?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by broody, Dec 14, 2013.

1. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I've been happy with the images I get from the GF3 and 14mm/45mm primes, but I find I shoot at ISO 1600 a lot and the pictures lose a lot of detail at that point. I suppose it's time to upgrade.

The possibility of buying a G3 at a very low price has come up. However that has no IBIS, and as I'm thinking of adding another prime to my kit, I wonder if I shouldn't just save up.

Then again, if it's good enough, I might not think of getting another body after the fact. So how is the G3 at high ISO? Does it suffer a lot compared to the GX7/OMDs?

One more question, if I understand correctly, the G3/GX1 sensor only offers shadow recovery similar to the old 12mp sensor in PP? Or is there any noticeable improvement?

2. stenlius

stenlius Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    Bulgaria
    I use both GX1 and E-M5, and have recently compared them at ISO3200 with the G6 and NEX6. So my opinion is that Nex6 is around 10-15% better than EM5. The OM-D is slightly better 5% than the GX1. And the GX1 is better than the G6 by another 5%. All of the above compared in RAW within the same lightning and objects. I think that the GX1 luminance grain is very fine and it's usable even at 6400 with some heavy NR & downsizing. The shadows recovery is definitely better than the E-PM1 I've owned before. You will likely be very happy with the upgrade from the GF3, if the G3 sensor is equivalent to GX1.

• Like Like x 2
  3. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    :) Thank you!! That is exactly the sort of detailed answer I was hoping for. From my research, GX1 IQ is on par with the G3 except for a better JPG engine. That's not an issue for me, as I shoot RAW. From your feedback I've decided to pick up this body, and aim the rest of my photo budget towards more glass.

4. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    ISO 1600 is probably the top end of the G3/G5/G6/GF6/GH2/GX1 generation. I wouldn't go beyond that for color photos. Newer post-EM5 models are good to ISO3200, as they don't suffer from color breaking down like with the earlier 16Mp sensors.

G3/GX1 have the exact same sensor and processing.
    G5/G6/GF6/GH2 similarly share sensors and processing. They're based on the G3 sensor, but moved the digital-analog converter onto the chip itself and are paired with a better processing system. In the real world, they perform pretty much identically under most conditions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.