Low light lens for indoor shooting

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Josh_LSTV, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Josh_LSTV

Josh_LSTV Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I'm looking for a lens to use in indoor low light situations (i.e. birthday parties, and other family gatherings.) I plan to purchase the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 eventually, but I need something to hold me over until I can afford it. So I'm looking for a lens with similar focal length, that's fairly sharp wide open, and under $50 preferably. I have a Minolta 50mm 1.7 but that's too long, and it's also not very sharp wide open. Also, Minolta MD mount lenses would be nice as I've already got the adapter, but I'm open to other mounts as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    you're not going to find something in a similar focal length, that fast for $50. The closest thing I can think of would be the Fuijan 35mm f1.7 c-mount CCTV lens found on eBay, but that is still going to be pretty long for general use in my opinion. Its one of my favourite adapted lenses, but it also has a certain character to it that I would say keeps it from being a general purpose lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I agree, what you are seeking is a very tall order. Due to the crop factor of :43: most available fast legacy lenses end up being telephotos. The C-mount lenses are cheap and fast, but they tend to have a special character that doesn't make them ideal choices for general-purpose shooting. I've got a 25mm f/1.2 and the Fujian 35mm mentioned and I love shooting with them, but I'm glad to have my P20 for kids birthday parties and the like.

You could find an adapted 28mm in that price range. The fastest you're likely to find is something like a 28mm f/2.0. I've got a Canon FD-mount Vivitar 28mm/2.0 that is decent. A 24mm lens might be even better, but you're likely going to burn past your $50 cap to find a decent, fast 24mm.

Among native lenses, the [thread=26310]Panasonic 14mm f/2.5[/thread] can be found in the US$150-170 range.

4. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    The only options I can remember are the Industar 69 - 28mm f2.8 and the Pentax auto 110 24mm f2.8. Faster than those will be much over the 50.00 you want.

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
  6. Josh_LSTV

Josh_LSTV Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I had a feeling I was asking a bit much. I'll check these out when I get home from work in the morning. How sharp are these wide open? Any suggestions for a lens that's faster that's slightly over my budget?

7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Honestly, I think your best bet is to save your money for the 20mm f1.7. You won't find anything fast for low light in anywhere near that focal range and even if you could it wouldn't be terribly inexpensive and would still be manual focus and aperture. For family gatherings where you're most likely to want snapshots I think an AF lens that enables you to catch candid moments quickly and easily, as well as be in photos by handing you camera to someone else is the way to go. For me, legacy glass is for more considered shooting.

Until you can afford the lens you want, just try to use your kit lens and your 50mm where you can. If for example you spent $100 between a new lens and corresponding adapter you'd nearly be 1/3 of the way to the Panasonic.

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I have to agree with Eric that you'll probably get better results with the kit zoom than any of the slightly faster lens that have been suggested.

The trouble with trying to find lenses with "normal" to wide field of view on :43: is that these same lenses were wide to ultra-wide on 35mm film and those lenses were generally not that fast. Even expanding your budget to $100 you wouldn't really find any better options than those that have already been mentioned. Any decent 20mm f/2.8 or 24mm f/2 are going to cost about the same amount or more than the P20. And the P20 will be much faster, lighter, sharper and smaller and will offer AF, so those lenses really aren't competitive even if they could be found at half the price.

9. Josh_LSTV

Josh_LSTV Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Yeah, I think I'll just wait and buy the P20. I just wanted to see if there were any good affordable legacy options to hold me over until I can justify the price of the P20.

10. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

the P20 is pretty much the most bang for the buck lens for M4/3 system. compact, light, fast, and sharp. If I were you, I will sell the kit zoom and add the $50 towards an used P20