Low-key images and inaccurate rear LCD preview on EM10ii

DefectiveMonk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I've been playing with low-key off-camera flash photography the last couple of weeks as it's a look that I love but have no experience with. Below is an example of what I'm going for. My problem is that the rear LCD is giving a preview that seems to be somewhere between 1 and 2 stops brighter than the actual image when I get it onto a computer. I don't have any problem seeing other people's low-key images on my computer and the colors (when I shoot color) seem to be in line with reality so i don't think it's the computer or the monitor.

I had to push the image below by 2 stops to get something that resembled the image on the rear LCD preview. I was thinking about using OI share on my iPad as a remote shutter to see if the preview is any better. Does anyone have other suggestions or thoughts?

49550454026_ca168ee374_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
LittleGirl_BW by Defective Monk, on Flickr

bargainguy

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Don
I think you can adjust the LCD screen brightness. From the manual, p. 98, Monitor Brightness Adjustment (can't copy the whole thing, there are symbols which don't show):

You can adjust the brightness and color temperature of the monitor. Color temperature adjustment will affect only the monitor display during playback. Use HI to highlight j (color temperature) or k (brightness) and FG to adjust the value. Press the INFO button to switch between [Natural] and [Vivid] monitor color display.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I have spent a bit of today doing some close up work trying to photograph spiders with flash. EM10 MkII TTL
I always seem to have to dial in 1 to 2 stops negative exposure to get what I want.

When I use my Panasonic G85 I also tend to always dial in some negative exposure [compensation]

Mind you I do not tend to expose ETTR either as I try to use jpeg SOOC as far as possible.

Edit, @DefectiveMonk
BTY I like your portrait exposure, very nice look

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I've been playing with low-key off-camera flash photography the last couple of weeks as it's a look that I love but have no experience with. Below is an example of what I'm going for. My problem is that the rear LCD is giving a preview that seems to be somewhere between 1 and 2 stops brighter than the actual image when I get it onto a computer. I don't have any problem seeing other people's low-key images on my computer and the colors (when I shoot color) seem to be in line with reality so i don't think it's the computer or the monitor.

I had to push the image below by 2 stops to get something that resembled the image on the rear LCD preview. I was thinking about using OI share on my iPad as a remote shutter to see if the preview is any better. Does anyone have other suggestions or thoughts?

View attachment 803366 LittleGirl_BW by Defective Monk, on Flickr

Have you checked your "Live View Boost" setting P101 in the UM

barry

Super Moderator
Hi, are you using the RAW image on the computer?
The LCD will show the JPEG version (even if you shoot RAW only)... You can reduce the Gradation setting and possibly others to get a flatter JPEG/preview image.

roelwillems

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roel
I do shoot raw. I'll give this a try. Thank you.

Then I also recommend setting the camera profile to muted. Together with gradation turned down I do feel that this give a quite pleasant viewfinder/LCD image.

You could also look in using the EVF (as you can adjust brightness and hue to your liking).

p.s. very nice image, well done!

Latest threads

Top Bottom