1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Low Cost Wide Angle

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Boatman, Jun 9, 2014.

1. I'm in need of a lens that will shoot around 90 to 100 degrees. In 35mm equivalence, this would be about 16 to 18mm. The Panasonic 7-14mm zoom would be the obvious choice if it didn't cost close to $1,000. Is there anything in the adapted market that would reach these widths without terrible distortion? I can correct some distortion in Photoshop using Adaptive Wide Angle, but if I have to do big corrections, it would be just as easy to make the capture using my 12mm lens and shoot two shots as a panorama. I'm looking to avoid that level of post processing. Full manual controls is not a problem, I'd be using manual mode anyway.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Because of the crop it is hard to get adapted UWA. You can try the Olympuse 9-18 it is approx half the price of the 7-14.
    Another option is to defish the Rokinon 7.5 fisheye.

3. I was hoping perhaps one of various security camera lenses had been found to work well. Defishing a fisheye lens would involve at least as much work as a two panel panorama. A two panel panorama, with about 50 degrees of overlap, works quite well but you still have to mess around using adaptive wide angle to get everything straight.

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The Samyang/Rokinon 7.5 fisheye is a super sharp lens that renders great. If you search the forums, you will find some LR lens profiles for this lens that a generous user created, so you can de-fish with just a click, but the edges do get distorted a bit and you lose a small amount of angle when de-fished. Other than that, the only budget lens I'm aware of in the range you are looking for is the Olympus 9-18 (which is optically pretty good).

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not sure it makes sense to adapt here - the only way you'll get something that wide is using an APS-C wide-angle lens and in most cases a focal-reducer adapter - and you'll spend as much or more on that than for a secondhand 9-18. You can save a bit of money going with the 4/3 version of the 9-18, plus a third-party m4/3-4/3 adapter.

I'd also recommend against the fisheye-defish route. Even if the quality is acceptable for your uses (and it may not be - the corners have to be stretched a lot) - you're stuck framing and shooting with the original uncorrected fisheye view, and that makes framing/visualizing pretty tough.

6. Thanks for the input. If I have to purchase an expensive wide angle, I'd probably pass on the Olympus and go all in on the Panasonic 7-14. It would be the best solution for my needs.

7. wilson

wilson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    Since boatman only needs 90-100 degrees fov, the distortion on the edges of the 7.5mm fisheye won't matter as much. Also in the center of the frame, the 7.5mm Rokinon distorts much less than on the edges, so framing is not really that much of an issue either.

However, resolution will be lost when photos are cropped.

That's my experience with the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 7.5mm fisheye.

8. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    I just purchased a Navitar 12.5 f1.3 for about $100. I heard I might have to shave down the rear threads to get the camera to focus to infinity, but that's probably not going to be a HUGE deal. Heard it's nice and sharp.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    That sounds interesting.

10. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    But most C-mount wide angles, including this one, don't cover the sensor so reducing the field of view,

11. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    It looks like this one nearly does, and if nothing else you'll have a 26-28mm equivalent f1.3, so literally twice the aperture/4x the shutter speed of the Panasonic 14/2.5.

12. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

I use my 14-42 kit lens with a 0.6X wide converter made by Sony. No vignetting, and it gets me down to about 8mm. It was $10 at Goodwill. It has a little distortion, but it's not a fisheye.