1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Loving the Sigma 60mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tlovegrove, Apr 30, 2014.

1. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    I find that the Sigma 60mm is becoming my go-to portrait lens. A few days ago, we had a few minutes in our front yard when the sunlight was reflecting off the house windows in a useful way. I grabbed the E-M5 + Sigma 60mm and shot fast. Here's some of the result (album here):

14074693054_961128edb2_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    GirlsEasterPortraitLaying2x3-1 by jqv99373, on Flickr

14074692054_137e920f7e_b.jpg
    GirlsEasterPortraits-4 by jqv99373, on Flickr

14074216685_2ec473279e_b.jpg
    GirlsEasterPortraits-2 by jqv99373, on Flickr

13887604397_7c543a594e_b.jpg
    GirlsEasterPortrait1x1-1 by jqv99373, on Flickr

Tim

• Like Like x 12
  2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well, Tim, you gotta admit that with those subjects, any lens/camera combination would be forced to make a good photo :biggrin:. Cute kids.

I have the 45mm and keep telling myself that I don't really need a 60mm - but those portraits are almost enough to make me press the 'buy' button.

Thanks for posting!

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  3. Search

Search Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2014
    I was hoping to get the Sigma 60 on sale or used, but I may just have to buy at the regular price.

4. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Very nice pics.

Can anyone share performances of the Sigma 60mm under low/indoor lights? I currently have the Sigma 30mm, but it's not fast enough for me indoors.

5. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    There's a whole thread on Sigma 60mm pics:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=44462

Although the 30mm and 60mm are both f/2.8, so one may not be any faster than the other under low light conditions...

I have the Panasonic f/1.7 as my 'go to' indoors lens but others have reported focus searching and slow focus with that lens. I've not found that to be the case but perhaps I got a good copy :confused: .

Regards,

Jim

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The 45 is my second most used lens. Its a much more versatile focal length than the 60 (60 is significantly longer), as well as being quite a bit faster, and it renders quite nicely. If I had to get rid of either the 45 or 60, the 60 would have to go. That being said, I like the way the 60 renders a lot better. I'm used to wides, but I find myself walking around with this awkward focal length telephoto prime because I like the way it renders so much. So if you are considering it, I think you will be happy with it. They are different enough focal lengths that having both isn't overkill.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    GFFPhoto - I've seen your samples in the other thread and you're not helping my resistance to buying this lens one little bit.

:biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  8. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    Yeah, that one street shot he took was the clincher for me. Oh well, its cheap at $240 for what you get and I can rationalize it with one word: Amortize!

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The Sigma 60 really does deserve more attention! I've had mine for a month now and I'm totally loving it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    This is the guy who will show you how to get the most out of a portrait lens, check out his stuff!

11. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    Yep, I'm already following his work on Flickr. Great stuff!

12. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Superb ! Superb !

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.