Loving my used HLD7!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by zensu, Dec 4, 2015.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Just got a mint condition used HLD7 for $100 (US) and mounted it on my E-M1 and boy howdy (showing my age) does this improve the cameras hand hold ability. No more pinkie finger waving in the breeze and when I want to shoot portraits, amazingly comfortable to hold. I wish I'd had this last Thanksgiving. Just wanted to give a positive shout out to those whose hands are on the large size and are considering getting this grip..
    Thanks for reading this,
    Bobby :coffee-30:

• Like Like x 2
  2. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Where'd you pick it up at? I've been wanting to jump on one of these.

3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I got it from B&H Used Dept. It was rated 9+ at $150 (US) but I had a $50 gift card that was about to expire. So glad I used it to get the HLD7! I have arthritis in my hands and this makes holding the E-M1 super comfortable in either landscape or portrait modes.

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I have the grip for my GH4, and I agree that it makes a huge difference in the handling of the camera, even with small lenses on it. It is much more comfortable to use.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I own an HLD7 too, but I use RRS plates (which also add support for my pinky) with every lens except my two biggest (50-200 and Nikon 180). With HLD7, those two lenses are easier for me to hand-hold, especially in portrait orientation. With other lenses, the HLD7's bulk and weight aren't worth it for me. This thread isn't the place, so I won't get into all the virtues of the RRS plates.

6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I have the RRS plate for the E-M1 camera that mounts on the basic camera body (no extra grip) and it does help in hand holding the camera but I prefer the HLD7 (it's not that heavy to me). I have large hands and with arthritis they are even larger when "Uncle Arthur" causes my fingers to swell. The HLD7 lets me grip the camera in landscape or portrait mode and spread out my fingers on the grips. The RRS plate causes me to squeeze my fingers together in order to get a four finger hold on the built in grip which is fine if my "Uncle Arthur" (family name for arthritis) isn't acting up, but it doesn't help at all for portraits. If you have normal large hands and don't shoot much in portrait orientation then the RRS plate is perfect. Now if I could find someone who I could trade my RRS plate for the basic E-M1 for a RRS plate for the bottom of the HLD7 I'd be set.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  7. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I recently bought the grip for the EM5. I wasnt sure if I needed it. But then there was u huge (80%) discount, so it was worth the gamble and I dont regret buying it.

8. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Cool that we both own both grips but have different preferences. Then we have other people posting here who have mentioned they prefer the RRS plates even with gigantic SHG lenses, and people who've said the 12-40 is too heavy with any grip. Too bad try before you buy is getting harder as our shopping moves to online.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    That was a big part of my doubt. Could not try if it had any use or not

10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    You are correct. As we used to say back in the 70's, different strokes for different folks. I love the way the E-M1 + HLD7 let me hold all of my lenses but there is no way I would even try hand holding my 43s' 50-200mm SWD lens with or without the EC-14 attached. As for the 43s' 12-60mm SWD it's a beast to handle but for me it's easier for me to hold it at waist level and use the rear LCD for composition rather than try to hold it for long periods at eye level. All of my m43s' lenses are much easier to use at eye level than either of my 43s' lenses.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  11. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    I got it as an special offer when I bought the E-M1. The price was 50€, so I got it. I use it only when I want to be sure that the battery won't be empty in the worst moment.

12. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I got mine used in the UK just after I bought the E-M1 (no preorder so did not qualify for the free one). Definitely a must have for long shooting days - you can replace the battery without taking your eye(s) off the EVF. Body handling improves very nicely as well, but the size and weight of your E-M1 do become DSLR-ish. My Canon T90 still dwarfs it though.

13. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I have grips on both my E-M5 and E-M5 MK II. Personally I find the portrait grip a must have on a camera. I shoot more in portrait than landscape. Grips do make a huge difference.

• Agree Agree x 1