Loving my old cameras again.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
For many years, my thoughts were always to get better when I could and use the best I could afford. I went from Argus C-3 as a child to a Praktica FX, Yashica Penta J, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon f3, Nikon F4, F4s, F5. with backups of N8008, N8008s, N90, N90s, FE, FM, F2S, Leica IIIF, and Contax G-1. Then came digital and a D70 to test the water, a D1, D200, Fuji S2Pro, Fuji S3 Pro, Fuji S5 Pro, Nikon D2x, Nikon D600, D700, D800, D750 and then the Olympus EPL1 as my m4/3 starter, then a Panasonic G5, Olympus EM-10, Olympus EM-1 i, EM-1 ii and, EM-5ii. I have loved and used them all but I am now finding that the older digital cameras have their place. My EPL1 is boxed and will be sold but the EM-10 is so little and pocketable. It works just as well as most other Olympus cameras and I have been using it lately, especially with the smaller primes. My Fuji S3 Pro has been getting more use when I want saturated color with a huge exposure range where I can pull detail out of shadows easily with Lightroom.

I suspect that I will use the Nikon's more during baseball season, will probably sell the EPL1 and the Panny G5 (not the big one).

Real Name
Richard
I enjoy using my old cameras too, but as they get older they start to forget what day it is (like me).

My Oly epl3 now forgets the date and time whenever I change the battery.

My Fuji S4300 is worse, it forgets the date and time whenever I open the battery compartment door to get the SD card out.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
There is an electrolytic capacitor in these cameras that hold enough of a charge to maintain the time and date when the battery is changed. Electrolytic capacitors go bad with time (electrolyte dries out and the capacitor has to be replaced).

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
Not sure it's for the same reasons, but I love having an inexpensive beater camera, I still enjoy the decade old PM1. The older sensor isn't actually half bad if exposed well, and I reduce resolution to a handful of Mpx on anything I post or email anyway.

The nicest thing about an older body is that replacement cost is so cheap that I'm willing to take it places and in conditions I might hesitate with the new camera. SW desert dust on a windy day for example, or around salt water, or anywhere I risk mechanical trauma (e.g. trail running where I might slip and land on it). When it dies, I'll just get another.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
I’ve been looking for something around the size of my GF1 to compliment my G9 and newer iPhone. I’ve been casually window shopping so many different bodies and a couple days ago I was like “why don’t I just use the GF1?” Slapped the 20mm on it and I’ve been having so much fun with it.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There is an electrolytic capacitor in these cameras that hold enough of a charge to maintain the time and date when the battery is changed. Electrolytic capacitors go bad with time (electrolyte dries out and the capacitor has to be replaced).

I have a P&S that has an internal battery for the clock.
In the manual it says, the camera has to be sent in to replace the battery. grrrr

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For many years, my thoughts were always to get better when I could and use the best I could afford. I went from Argus C-3 as a child to a Praktica FX, Yashica Penta J, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon f3, Nikon F4, F4s, F5. with backups of N8008, N8008s, N90, N90s, FE, FM, F2S, Leica IIIF, and Contax G-1. Then came digital and a D70 to test the water, a D1, D200, Fuji S2Pro, Fuji S3 Pro, Fuji S5 Pro, Nikon D2x, Nikon D600, D700, D800, D750 and then the Olympus EPL1 as my m4/3 starter, then a Panasonic G5, Olympus EM-10, Olympus EM-1 i, EM-1 ii and, EM-5ii. I have loved and used them all but I am now finding that the older digital cameras have their place. My EPL1 is boxed and will be sold but the EM-10 is so little and pocketable. It works just as well as most other Olympus cameras and I have been using it lately, especially with the smaller primes. My Fuji S3 Pro has been getting more use when I want saturated color with a huge exposure range where I can pull detail out of shadows easily with Lightroom.

I suspect that I will use the Nikon's more during baseball season, will probably sell the EPL1 and the Panny G5 (not the big one).

This is also the time to get a film camera that you always wanted.
Back in 2005, I got a Hasselblad 500cm + 80CF lens for less than I paid for my Nikon D70.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I have owned a Yashicaflex 120 TLR, a Mamiya 645, a Pentax 67 and a Kiev MF camera. No desire to go back to film. My wife would tell you that I should open a museum of old film cameras since I have literally close to 100 but they are still a part of me and I keep them---albeit, not on display. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom