Loving my E-M10.........BUT......

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by DL Photo, Dec 21, 2014.

1. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    I've had my E-M10 for less than a year. It replaced my Canon 7D and high end lenses. Made the change as I was tired of lugging around the big equipment.

Used the 7D for sports, portraits, street photography and loved the results.

I took the E-M10 with me to Europe in the summer and was very happy with the pictures from this beauty. Did what I expected and was a pleasure to shoot with. Even the pancake zoom worked well in good light.

I am also into taking pictures of my kids playing sports, indoor and outdoors as well as pics of my dogs running and playing. The 7D and fast lenses were perfect for all of that. I have to say that the E-M10 is terrible for any action photography. I use the 45 1.8 last night for indoor soccer. I also shot with the 40-150 outdoor soccer a couple of weeks ago and the E-m10 auto focus is so poor for for action. didn't realize that it would be that disappointing when I first bought this camera.

While I do love this camera for everyday stills, landscape and street photography, the lack of decent autofocus has me down.

Most good quality mirrorless camers will do a good job with everyday photography. So I don't think the results with the E-M10 outshines the others. So, now I'm on the hunt for a good action camera to replace th E-M10.

What would you do?
    The E-M1 is just to large.....and not really a huge step up for action focusing from what I've read.
    I'm now starting to think that the a6000 may be a good option??
    DSLR is out as not prepared to go large again.

Any comments will be appreciated.
  2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Looks like there is no mirrorless body that can match 7D AF capabilities yet. Our best bet is to wait until Oly releases its new model, hopefully with significant tracking and continuos AF improvement. From everything I've read so far, Sony a6000 and even the new A7II are still no match to 7D...Not sure about Panasonic GH4 with DFD - maybe worth a look if you want to stay with m43.
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    You don't have to go large for a DSLR. The Canon SL1 or Nikon 3000 series are very small.

Even entry level DSLRs track well.

With that behind us, shooting sports with a mirrorless camera without phase detect is very difficult. Most people find that shooting S-AF shot to shot is much faster than the C-AF acquisition times.

Now, the EM1 is better - not top of the line DSLR better, but it can track subjects because it has PDAF. Shooting with the m43 cameras is not a 1 for 1 technique transfer either, so there might need to be a bit of a learning curve to figure out the best way for you to get what you want.
    Before buying an EM1, though, I would go to some place like BorrowLenses or LensRental and rent an EM1 or GH4 for a weekend and then go out and see if it is truly better for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    What I would do is not necessarily what you will or should do. But I would practice using prefocus with MF, or experiment with CAF and a high burst rate. I'd be surprised not to get some real keepers. For indoor soccer I would think that would get some keepers.
  6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Did you try touch screen focusing?
  7. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Thanks for all of the responses.

I am definitely not xpexcting the system to match up with the 7D and lenses that I had...that would be unfair as different investment and size. I guess I just need something that focuses for action better than the EM10 does. It bugs me that is does all else so well but misses big time in this area. Just some good in focus memories of the sports or dogs would be good.
    If I could find a happy medium that could provide some keepers form the action photography and do all else pretty well.....I'd be a happy chappy.

Not sure I would want to change over to the EM1 though. It is quite a bit larger than the EM10 and also does not have a built in flash.....something that I've got used to using for fill in light. Also double the price.....I can't imagine the quality of the pictures from the EM1 are worth double than that of the EM10. I know that there are other features that make the one worth it for many others but not for me. GH4 is just too bulky and pricey as well.

I did try the touch screen focusing but that only works with single shot and I could not rapid fire with this. Have to try and predict what's going to happen....not easy with a system of this speed.

I have thought about another smaller DSLR for action but then that defeats the purpose of going smaller and tryng to stay with one system. I would then need to by lenses again for the DSLR......two systems just not going to work for me. If I was a pro....different story.

I know that there are mainly Olympus and Panasonic supporters here so tough to get any real feedback on the experiences with the a6000 or the likes.

Open to other recommendations though.
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Dave, I don't think there is an all-in-one mirrorless solution. I think I'd go with E-M10 and a minimal DSLR kit if I were in your shoes. You can go 40D + 55-250 for outdoor sports and 85/1.8 for indoor and probably not even spend $700. Obviously not as good as a 7D with one of the 70-200 options, but may be good enough to get your shots and keep the E-M10 funded for everything else you want to shoot.
  9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    DL Photo

really until you post a photo or a link to where your photos are, its really hard to offer any sort of valuable input to your issue... you say the 7D worked for you... maybe the 7D was so much better than the 5DMk2 I have, which was crap at autofocus on moving subjects... i don't know... The 5D was certainly as bad as if not worse than the e-510 it supplemented in terms of AF

My point is that asking for opinions on photo taking options without posting either your failed photos or the ones you aspire to is route to a whole bunch of useless information

I sort of understand your question... but don't have enough info on where you are coming from

• Like Like x 1
  10. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    The soccer shots were pretty damn good for that focal length. were you actually playing and shooting at the same time :)
  12. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    lol i was that day... it's a 30+ league... i run around for 15 mins, sub off and go on again
  13. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    For me C-AF truely suck, but someone suggested (as they have here) basically S-AF using the touch screen - basically point the camera at generally where you want the pic to be and stab the screen with your finger - the result is a one off generally acceptable shot, like this one:

Scoot about the 80s by magsnorton, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nice shot! Though I have to say anything shot with the 75 1.8 looks good! :wink: :smile:
  15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Can you describe how you were using it?
    I have noticed that folk who are used to using Canon (especially) DSLRs really find it hard to make the break to do it differently with m4/3rds, and many just give up and sell their stuff.
    Using your m4/3rds camera "wrongly" will lead to disappointment : trying to use it the same way as your Canon 7D is certainly "wrong".

(I'm not trolling)

Wide-open, S-AF, centre, burst, focus closer before focus on the subject.
  16. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I have to agree - my other setup is Canon (in the process of selling) and I've always done birds in flight, my kids running about etc and I'm far from an expect, but quickly leant that CAF + back button focus is not the way its done with the E-M10
  17. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I struggle with this as well with regard to m43 and mirrorless in general. If you've shot action with a DSLR (even one with relatively poor AF - a 5DII for example) I think you'll simply be disappointed with a mirrorless camera for this purpose - I know that generally I am. That said, with the only alternative being a return to those large lenses, I'm willing to struggle along with m43 until a mirrorless system camera can offer comparable performance to entry level DSLRs. Having tried an EM1, X-T1 and GH4, I don't think we're there yet, but we are getting closer. For me it isn't worth investing in something that isn't significantly better than my G5/G6 and since I don't think there is right now, I'm playing the waiting game and finding workarounds for the type of action that I shoot.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    With M43, I think one has to prefocus on the spot where the soccer kids are going to be and also use manual focus or back-button so it doesn't move. Here, I was just playing around with a manual FD lens, so I prefocused on the netting, but I would have done the same had it been an M43 zoom.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    From what I can see the A6000 is unbeatable for action shooting. Talking about mirrorless obviously.
  20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I've seen comparisons that put the GH4 ahead of it, but I imagine they're both similar. The PDAF on the A6000 is definitely a bonus.