Loving Dramatic Tone art filter on my E-PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nowel_g, May 27, 2012.

1. nowel_g

nowel_g Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
    Nowel Garcia
    I must admit I have been so loving the dramatic tone art filter on my E-PL2. I have been experimenting with the results you get from daytime vs. night-time. I also like that I have spent so much less time editing photos in Lightroom as some of the shots are amazing straight out of camera. I also think that the added border makes a great difference in presentation as well. Here are some of the shots I did yesterday. Lets see some of yours.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9029&thumb=1.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9030&thumb=1.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9032&thumb=1.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9031&thumb=1.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  2. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    Those are nice... but for me I like them only once in awhile as I find them overly cooked. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, Im sure the originals are nice as well.

Canada2011.

Canada911HDR-1.

• Like Like x 5
  3. jamawass

jamawass Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I posted this in the cars thread
    Resize_M_sport.

• Like Like x 2
  4. the.devil.himself

the.devil.himself Mu-43 Rookie

May 21, 2012
    are these pictures straight out of camera?

5. jamawass

jamawass Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Yes

6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Brilliant!

For me the art filter works best when there's not too much green in the scene. But they're all good in their way.

7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    For those who like PP in Photoshop, it might be fun to shoot a scene with the Dramatic Tone Filter in RAW+JPEG, then combine the two images as layers in PS. That way, you could adjust the opacity of the Dramatic Tone Filter layer, rendering it to taste. Could also apply the effect to portions of an image using PS masks and other tools. Just a suggestion...

• Like Like x 2
  8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I dig it.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Robert
    I'm new to the Oly filters and have recently tried them out on the OMD (coming from Pany bodies before).

I'm sure several of the filters have there use but I find the Dramatic Tone filter to be by far the most interesting. Particularly the B&W version of Dramatic Tone. It was fun to shoot with that filter live in the VF. Maybe I saw some images I would not have seen without the live B&W filter. I found it works particularly well with subjects that have a lot of detail. A couple examples from that day below (using 7-14mm):

i-zPxf8SH-XL.

i-6bcNmW7-XL.

• Like Like x 5
  10. nowel_g

nowel_g Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
    Nowel Garcia
    Wow! Those are amazing! Did you do the B+W dramatic tone in camera or did you do post-processing? Is that dramtic tone and B+W filter combination only available in the OMD or can it be done in my E-PL2?

• Like Like x 1
  11. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    nice shots=)

• Like Like x 1
  12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    You should be able to set your picture mode (under the menu) to Monotone, then use the dramatic tone filter. You can also use PP but this is easier.

13. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Robert
    @nowel_g
    Thanks for the comment!
    Yes, those are straight out of the camera jpg. No additional PP other than the dramatic tone filter.

I don't have an E-PL2 to check the filters there but I don't remember the B&W dramatic tone being a new/exclusive filter for the OMD. The trick was to go into the options for the filters and set Dramatic tone to option II.

Robert